Predicting excellence

So where are they going to get higher level of football then? Who is going to risk their job giving game time to lads with no experience?

Are you telling me that the likes of Dele Ali, Kyle Walker, Harry Kane, John Stones, Adam Llanana, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain would all be the same players if they had played U23 football up to the age of 21 and not proper football like they did, experience different styles of football, physicality, the highs of succeeding and the lows of going through a bad patch.

If they don''t succeed in that environment they aren't good enough to succeed in ours.

I'll use Phil Foden as an example again, what's your pathway for him right up until 21?

No.

I'm telling you they are all either fast, big or both & came through playing football closer to the kind played in those leagues. If we are teaching kids to play pass & move football, we can't expect them to necessarlly thrive playing hoof & kick.

If Foden goes to Rotherham I'll expect him to fail, if he goes to Valencia, I'll give him a chance IF he can get on the pitch. Tosin, I would imagine can break through playing trogball as he's big, strong & quick. Diaz, Foden, Fernandes etc, I would be surprised if we ever saw any again.

I would like Foden to be brought through initially at City, then loaned out if he can't get games here, to a club who plays football

No.

I'm telling you they are all either fast, big or both & came through playing football closer to the kind played in those leagues. If we are teaching kids to play pass & move football, we can't expect them to necessarlly thrive playing hoof & kick.

If Foden goes to Rotherham I'll expect him to fail, if he goes to Valencia, I'll give him a chance IF he can get on the pitch. Tosin, I would imagine can break through playing trogball as he's big, strong & quick. Diaz, Foden, Fernandes etc, I would be surprised if we ever saw any again.

I would lije Foden to be brought through initially at City, then loaned out if he can't get games here, to a club who plays football

Football is not just about ability. There is a mental side to it that is massive at the top level. You only get that mentality by experiencing real things.

Phil Foden would learn more being kicked and learning to ride tackles and being frustrated at the standard of football, possibly the anger at being left out or brought off and the thrill of a big win infront of thousands of fans, instead of getting 4 assists in a game against Colchester United U23s against players who will be playing non-league in a few years.

The fact that you say you would expect him to fail at Rotherham but if he goes to Valencia you will give him a chance just sums everything up. WHY would Valencia take him on loan??? That is the deluded thinking that clouds our young players, like he can just waltz into Valencia's squad. Ridiculous.

If Phil Foden was to go to Rotherham and not perform well, that's acceptable in his first loan, but i would expect him to use that experience at a better level that is more suited to his ability and perform well in his second and third loans.

If he doesn't, he isn't good enough for Manchester City.

It didn't harm Dele Ali, anything else is an excuse.

Not sure if that is a sarcastic reply or a genuine one. It's just an opinion on not only City but other top clubs and one i have had for a long time.

I believe now there is so much money in the game nowadays that the "Class of 92" or "La Masia" will never be repeated. There is too much at stake each game to invest trust and time in young players with no experience.

That's why this view of the CFA churning out players each year and us having a squad that half are home grown Mancunians is incredibly naive.

The CFA is a money making scheme and nothing more, if one breaks through now and again that will be great, but the vast majority will be sold and progress elsewhere. No one is going to go from the EDS to the first team and play 100 games for the club.
Not sure if that is a sarcastic reply or a genuine one. It's just an opinion on not only City but other top clubs and one i have had for a long time.

I believe now there is so much money in the game nowadays that the "Class of 92" or "La Masia" will never be repeated. There is too much at stake each game to invest trust and time in young players with no experience.

That's why this view of the CFA churning out players each year and us having a squad that half are home grown Mancunians is incredibly naive.

The CFA is a money making scheme and nothing more, if one breaks through now and again that will be great, but the vast majority will be sold and progress elsewhere. No one is going to go from the EDS to the first team and play 100 games for the club.
this was a genuine reply,my view is that we play at such an high level now.That a player coming through as got to be exceptional and he has really got to want to make it at the highest level. There are so many distractions these days I am sure the CFA are exploring every option to help each player reach is full potential why wouldn't they.

I posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago, but at Spurs Pochettino has actually decided that he doesn’t want their best young players to go out on loan to lower divisions, he’d rather them stay at Spurs and see if he can improve them himself. It seems to have worked for Harry Winks – just turned 21 and hadn’t played a single league game at any level before this season but has played over a dozen this season. Maybe it’s what Guardiola is doing with Garcia and Adarabioyo, but I guess not every player would be willing to leave it so long with no proper football at all.

Someone will - some ONE will! There are too many talented kids at the Academy for ONE not to make it to our first team. Which one? I haven't the foggiest.

Football is not just about ability. There is a mental side to it that is massive at the top level. You only get that mentality by experiencing real things.

Phil Foden would learn more being kicked and learning to ride tackles and being frustrated at the standard of football, possibly the anger at being left out or brought off and the thrill of a big win infront of thousands of fans, instead of getting 4 assists in a game against Colchester United U23s against players who will be playing non-league in a few years.

The fact that you say you would expect him to fail at Rotherham but if he goes to Valencia you will give him a chance just sums everything up. WHY would Valencia take him on loan??? That is the deluded thinking that clouds our young players, like he can just waltz into Valencia's squad. Ridiculous.

If Phil Foden was to go to Rotherham and not perform well, that's acceptable in his first loan, but i would expect him to use that experience at a better level that is more suited to his ability and perform well in his second and third loans.

If he doesn't, he isn't good enough for Manchester City.

It didn't harm Dele Ali, anything else is an excuse.

You talk about 'improving' from one loan to the next whilst in another thread you are sarcastically celebrating Jack Byrne going from starring v Ajax one season, to Owen Coyle's bench the next.

(I was using Valencia as a random example of a club who played football, it could be any other Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, etc etc club. Ie NOT Blackburn Rovers, in a relegation battle or Rotherham).

Most lower league sides in a battle, would pick 18 year old Ishmael Miller over 18 year old David Silva 100% of the time. What use is a small kid who gets knocked off the ball, who likes to pass & move in triangles, in a side which lumps it 30 yards over his head & runs after it ? Why would they play him ? Of course they won't, & probably with good reason. He would have to be spectacular, individually, just to get on the pitch, not trying short passing game with players who are trained to 'knock it'. Miller: fine, big, fast, run after it. Like Walcott, Ali, Oxlaide, & no doubt Sterling, with his pace, would get games. Maybe Sancho would eventually, he's physically bigger & quite fast, but then Brandon Barker got dropped after scoring a worldy., so it can just be politics.

But then if you are generally & genuinely interested, you would know all this & that what I'm saying is true.

The fact you would write off Silva if a 2nd div manager dropped him but applaud Miller, & then see it as success for he academy if he got a transfer to Burnley for a few quid, at the end of it, is why people who think like like you, need removing from the game in this country, if we are ever to stand a chance of producing players like Silva, which we have failed to do in the past 40 years or so, the nearest being Scholes, who was originally a goalscorer & of course never loaned out anywhere, but brought through into the first team.

It's a terrible weakness that we don't have a stronger reserve team competition, which makes loans inevitable for a percentage of players.

But the fact many highly skilled youngsters then fail when thrown to the wolves should be an admission of failure & generate a willingness to improve the system, but unfortunately there are far too many people like yourself, who will blame the kids for not adapting to prehistoric kick & rush results football, rather than realising it is their job to try & create players, not just make them do it themselves.

In the meantime, people such as yourself can point to all the failed kids & say 'I told you so'.

I think there needs to be a place for young players to compete alongside and against adults in England. B teams are very popular abroad, but I also think there are very good reasons why they wouldn't work here (I'd say I'm against them).

I'd make the League Cup a competition for homegrown or U21/23 players. Potentially with some squad slots for wildcards. I've had a quick scan through the teams at the top of the Championship and they could all play 11s from their first team squads. City on the other hand would have to much more flexible, requiring blooding some youth:

Gunn

Maffeo - Tosin - Stones - Clichy

Garcia

Sterling - Diaz - Delph - Sancho

Iheanacho

SUBS: O'Brien, Humphreys, Angelino, Kongolo, Foden, Fernandes, Jesus
Most PL sides don't take the competition seriously anyway, so why not?

Someone might one day but with not one player appearing regularly in our first team over the last 5 years from the academy I can't help thinking its a con. What connection can Jason Wilcox have to Pep in terms of playing styles? I went watching our 23s play Chelsea a few months back and thought standard of competitive football was woeful. Looked like nobody wanted to make a tackle. One of the issues we face is young lads signing at 17-18 on massively inflated wages and having little incentive to move on given we have given them 5 year contracts. One I can never understand is Angus Gunn. Why has he not gone out on loan to get experience given his age and lack of first team games? Just don't see point in hanging around as 3rd choice keeper given he hasn't had chances in weakest season in years for keepers at our club.

Someone might one day but with not one player appearing regularly in our first team over the last 5 years from the academy I can't help thinking its a con. What connection can Jason Wilcox have to Pep in terms of playing styles? I went watching our 23s play Chelsea a few months back and thought standard of competitive football was woeful. Looked like nobody wanted to make a tackle. One of the issues we face is young lads signing at 17-18 on massively inflated wages and having little incentive to move on given we have given them 5 year contracts. One I can never understand is Angus Gunn. Why has he not gone out on loan to get experience given his age and lack of first team games? Just don't see point in hanging around as 3rd choice keeper given he hasn't had chances in weakest season in years for keepers at our club.

Pretty sure Gunn was going on loan before Guardiola stepped in, maybe Guardiola sees something in him and wants to keep him around to learn. Considering what we've heard about Pochettino keeping youngsters from going on loan, I wouldn't be surprised if Guardiola has a similar view.

Pretty sure Gunn was going on loan before Guardiola stepped in, maybe Guardiola sees something in him and wants to keep him around to learn. Considering what we've heard about Pochettino keeping youngsters from going on loan, I wouldn't be surprised if Guardiola has a similar view.
Not to mention that the young lads don't get 5 year contracts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.