prem league winter break

All cup games, including the League Cup final, should be played in midweek. It’s ridiculous that city, should they get to the semi final of the FA Cup, will have to rearrange 2 home league games, especially as they are against Brighton and Swansea. We could have won the league by the time they are rearranged and that might change the relegation picture somewhat.
As already stated elsewhere, LC semi should be a one off at the ground of the team drawn out first. Bristol City would have had more chance of beating city in a one-off, decided on the night game, than over 2 legs.
A couple of weeks off would save few quid in January, never a bad idea. Finally, as a season ticket holder living over 200 miles away, I don’t mind rearranging my weekends but having to take days of work to go to rearranged city games really pisses me off!

I think it's possible to support City in every competition and also respect those competitions whilst at the same time holding the view that something has to give in the future?

Players at clubs participating in European competition are being asked to play far too many games. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that one of the means we could achieve fewer games is by scrapping the less prestigious of the two domestic cup competitions? Do we really need two knock out domestic trophies? Do other countries have two? (that's a genuine question btw) I'm equally as happy with the suggestion of cutting down the size of the premier league too.

For as long as the league cup exists i can respect it as a competition and back City all the way in it, but I think it's fair to say it doesn't offer anything radically different to the FA Cup so might be something that needs a rethink in an era where players are being asked to play more games than ever (certainly for the team already playing extra games in European competitions).

The league cup shouldn’t be scrapped for a break. It’s a meaningless trophy for some, but I enjoy it. The semi finals should be one leggeg, I do agree with that.

The league cup shouldn’t be scrapped for a break. It’s a meaningless trophy for some, but I enjoy it. The semi finals should be one leggeg, I do agree with that.

I'm not saying i don't enjoy it when we play in it, but the welfare of the players and their ability to compete in every competition they're asked to play in is definitely being compromised at the moment. If that was the only way a break could be achieved then i'd probably support scrapping the league cup, however maybe reducing the premier league by two teams could achieve a similar effect. As some have mentioned though, if teams simply used a break as an opportunity to go and play money spinning friendlies then there's no point in the winter break anyway.

I'm not saying i don't enjoy it when we play in it, but the welfare of the players and their ability to compete in every competition they're asked to play in is definitely being compromised at the moment. If that was the only way a break could be achieved then i'd probably support scrapping the league cup, however maybe reducing the premier league by two teams could achieve a similar effect. As some have mentioned though, if teams simply used a break as an opportunity to go and play money spinning friendlies then there's no point in the winter break anyway.

I don’t agree with reducing the prem to 18 teams or scrapping the league cup. I’ve got doubts weather a winter break will be beneficial anyway. Like you said, it will only mean trips to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and so on.

I don’t agree with reducing the prem to 18 teams or scrapping the league cup. I’ve got doubts weather a winter break will be beneficial anyway. Like you said, it will only mean trips to Dubai, Abu Dhabi and so on.

Do you agree there are too many games?

Shit idea. Get rid of league cup and fa cup replays. Plus if we could minimize the international breaks that would be helpful but I imagine that is out of the FAs hands.

three weeks off in Jan....would be great. really it would only be two weeks as players need a weeks training/preparation. The history of the English game means the December fixtures ought not to be touched as it has a historical tradition with fixtures especially around boxing day and new years ties.

For the most, it comes down to the players. Do they want to take the time(2/3 weeks) from themselves, in their Summer holiday break!?

it would end up being a winter break for fans but clubs and players going to places like the usa or china or australia and playing friendly games for 3 weeks.football does need to change in the premier league but its the tv fixtures that sometimes don't add up and the league cup is a big problem just before the christmas games

the league cup could be moved to early season or pre-season fa cup played in midweek with single games no replays international games down to one single game per break and international friendly games or the new cup uefa competition played at under 21 level only and have up to 3 senior players

but football needs to control the tv gang from running the game its daft that the fixture list comes out and looks nothing like it when the tv cut them up and use the full weekend even friday night and monday night are daft just have all clubs playing on saturday or sunday and if you play a sunday game for tv the football club should control the midweek cup game if they have one so tuesday or wednesday would be the choice of the club not tv

i never got why football clubs even signed up for tv to control the game yes the money is great but its our game not the tv company. clubs need to control how its run and not told you have to play its should be the other way round

Do you agree there are too many games?

We never heard of this moaning a few years ago. The scheduling is ridiculous over Christmas with 3 games in 5 days, then followed by January which involves league cup semis and fa cup. It’s quickly solved by fucking off fa cup replays and two legged league cup semi finals. I don’t see the point in a break, but the games need spreading out more, that I would agree with. As a fan I don’t want to see a break and nothing would annoy me more than seeing City flying half way across the world to play in some money spinning friendlies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.