Premier League Games 3/4/5/ March

Well he is living out of a suitcase!
th

So, you're essentially defining the best defence as the team that lets in the least goals. On that basis, you're suggestion that goals conceded is the best way to rate a defence is spot on. Well done.
Yes, I am definitely doing that as it's obviously the best measure.

I also rate the best attack as the team that scores the most goals, what would be your measure? Most corners? Highest throw in count?

Yes, I am definitely doing that as it's obviously the best measure.

I also rate the best attack as the team that scores the most goals, what would be your measure? Most corners? Highest throw in count?
What if an attack scores no goals, but the defence and midfield score loads, so that the team as a whole scores the most goals? Is that the best attack? Deliberately being awkward aside, that clearly wouldn't be what most people would consider the best attack. It's only the 'best attack' if you redefine 'best attack' as the attack of the team that scores the most goals, like you redefined 'best defence' to be the defence of the team that concedes the fewest goals.

As for what might constitute a better measure, you've already mentioned xG, which I think is an extremely useful tool in assessing how good individual players and attacks and defences are. There are also loads of stats like key passes in the attacking third, shots on goal, touches in the box, etc., etc., all of which give you a more detailed picture of how good your attack is.

Who has the best attack is a complicated question that requires a complicated answer. If you really think that one measure - one number - can be used to compare attacks (or defences), then you're a far less sophisticated observer of football than I'd hitherto given you credit for.

What if an attack scores no goals, but the defence and midfield score loads, so that the team as a whole scores the most goals? Is that the best attack? Deliberately being awkward aside, that clearly wouldn't be what most people would consider the best attack. It's only the 'best attack' if you redefine 'best attack' as the attack of the team that scores the most goals, like you redefined 'best defence' to be the defence of the team that concedes the fewest goals.

As for what might constitute a better measure, you've already mentioned xG, which I think is an extremely useful tool in assessing how good individual players and attacks and defences are. There are also loads of stats like key passes in the attacking third, shots on goal, touches in the box, etc., etc., all of which give you a more detailed picture of how good your attack is.

Who has the best attack is a complicated question that requires a complicated answer. If you really think that one measure - one number - can be used to compare attacks (or defences), then you're a far less sophisticated observer of football than I'd hitherto given you credit for.
I remember when I was new to football as well.

Well, that's a pretty disappointing reply. But I did learn something from our exchange, so it's not a complete loss.
But you do know tha football is a team game utilising all 11 players.

There is no offensive and defensive teams like in the NFL.

We do attack and defend as a team, one can’t just decide the back four is our defence and the font three are our attack?

Ederson and the two full backs (3 of our back 5) are as important to how we create space to attack the opposition as our number 10. Likewise we defend high up the pitch to win the ball back and limit the opportunities for the opposition to get the ball near our goal.

The whole team attack and defend as a unit hence goals scored and conceded are very much the barometers to ascertain how good we are at defending and attacking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.