Prostate Biopsy ... should I,or not ?

karen7 said:
You can always ask for some sedation oakie,it will relax you so you don't tense as bad which will help with the discomfort

I hear poppers are just the thing for that

My Dad,God Bless,had it Alan.
Never smoked or drank,unlike his son,ahem,cough,cough.
Got it down to 0.7 in the end.
The reason for that was because he got it CHECKED EARLY.
Just get it done mate,uncomfortable or whatever.
The consultant said he had pink lungs like a kid when they "went in".
He was 70 at the time.
Do it mate,and all the best from TTT.

TTTCITYBHOY said:
My Dad,God Bless,had it Alan.
Never smoked or drank,unlike his son,ahem,cough,cough.
Got it down to 0.7 in the end.
The reason for that was because he got it CHECKED EARLY.
Just get it done mate,uncomfortable or whatever.
The consultant said he had pink lungs like a kid when they "went in".
He was 70 at the time.
Do it mate,and all the best from TTT.

Hi mate,how`s tricks ? Hope you`re keeping well,especially after the Bhoys triumphant year and Denayer`s amazing YP of the Year Award.
My Dad had this same biopsy done when he was about 75 years of age,but it thankfully proved positive.However he died of blood poisoning from the gut and we saw him die in agony with us finally giving the OK to turn of his life support machine.
Blood poisoning is a slight possibility and one that fills me with concern more than anything else,mate.I understand the % are very low,but I don`t know whether to just see my GP for 6 months and take a blood sample again,to see if the count has gone up from 5.9.My urine flow was excellent by all accounts and I certainly aint pissing every 5 minutes,but I`m not stupid enough to think that alls completely well and I couldn`t possibly have prostate problems.
Thanks for your concern mate and sorry your Dad suffered.

IMO should never delay any opportunity for early diagnosis - it can only help

On the one hand it could put your mind at rest and remove all concerns, but if the news is less positive - well early identification is 100% for the best

Understandably it can cause anxiety but a no-brainer really (IMO)

mcfc1632 said:
IMO should never delay any opportunity for early diagnosis - it can only help

On the one hand it could put your mind at rest and remove all concerns, but if the news is less positive - well early identification is 100% for the best

Understandably it can cause anxiety but a no-brainer really (IMO)

I dont think its a no brainer. Early diagnosis is fine if its 100% accurate, which it rarely is with prostate cancer. The test doesn't always detect cancer, it cant completely put your mind at rest and remove all concerns. If it does detect cancer they can't always be sure whether its an aggressive cancer or one that you will die with rather than from. Which presents you with the dilemna of having treatment with very unpleasant side effects, that might not have been necessary, or taking the view that quality of life is better than quantity

On balance I thought it better to have the test, but it certainly wasnt a no brainer.

Taximania said:
A very very good question and for differing reasons
A question that will encroach on a good percentage of Cellarites on here as the years silently ebb away

Psa readings are a good course of action and indicator for any one over the age of 50
And a good indicator indeed of any advancing problems
Fact of the matter is they are just that though , indicators.
There are other reasons for a high psa reading (prostate specific antigen)
And that can include BPH, benign prostatic hyperplasia which is a non- cancerous enlargement very common as us cockwombles all grow older.

Fact of the matter is that most men with early prostate cancer sadly do not posses any symptoms

The psa test is an indicator and other tests are available such a s a DRE digital rectal examination where your gp or physision will feel your prostate for any abnormalities or unusual changes

In general for a 60 year man and above you would not expect a psa reading of above 3
3 ng/ml or lower is considered in the normal range then for chaps under this age
After this they say with a PSA level between four and 10 have a 25% chance of having prostate cancer and if the PSA is higher than 10, the risk increases to 67%.
Nothing however definitive in these figures and peeps with a psa of 2ng /ml have been known to have cancer
Both Bewildering and confusing why yes.
Anyway if you are having symptoms or over 50 and have a high psa reading then after a DRE you may be offered a biopsy.

And so with this thread, this is the current position of topic raised

If you are showing abnormal psa or having symptomatic indicators of Pc then I would say yup to take the biopsy

So what is the ordinary biopsy as opposed to the saturation biopsy which is a different entity like then

Here we go ....

You wait for your name to be shouted out.
After spending 45 minutes of flicking through copies of Lancashire life and top gear mags whilst inwardly shaking like Marie Antointette on her imminent barbers appointment you are called in by personal name
The waiting is always the worst is it not !

You are told to disappear behind a screen and un robe from your clobber
You put on a back to front gown that lets your arse hang out whilst covering up your pecker
And then you appear with your gallows firmly insight.
(Well the table you lie down on to be precise)

There will be helper nurses in the room
One nurse will be the doctors assistant and the other two will have the duty of distraction and comforting and reassurance protocol D C R P for short

Ok so at ish veilag as we say in the Netherlands (all is now well)
You climb onto the gurney and face south toward the DCRP nurses
Whilst you are settling down to your inevitable fate the doctor will be creaming himself up and checking his apparatus

His apparatus is a metallic domed spherical gun that he will insert into your back passage
It has a separate needle mechanism that will pass through you anal wall and take core samples from the prostate
Normally in a non saturation scenario this will be about sixteen cores.

The nurses in front of you will chat and engage you in conversion
Feel free to crack a few jokes yourself along the lines of you normally don't allow these kinds of shenanigans until after the first date !

So is it painful ?
Depends on your pain threshold mate but if I was to say the insertion of the apparatus is worse than the actual core removals then that will give you some comfort.
I am not anal retentive and so I would score the insertion of the machinery as shock and awe four out of ten.
It made my eyes water a little but was so quick as to be over in a crack.
The core samples were like bee stings and I would again honestly say no more than a three and a half with amputation of the testicles without antithetic coming in at a firm ten

Afterwards I bled a little and bled for about a fortnight in the man department
And then come the following stages all dependent on your personal results

In answer to you r original question, mais oui !

Thanks mate.A couple of q. for you.How bad is the injection into the anus,to numb it,prior to the apparatus being inserted ? Go on I`ll let you have the usual one liner "only a little prick". ;)
As for the insertion someone said that it feels as though the bloody thing is going to come out of your lower stomach,which I found a bit strange ?

oakiecokie said:
Hi mate,how`s tricks ? Hope you`re keeping well,especially after the Bhoys triumphant year and Denayer`s amazing YP of the Year Award.
My Dad had this same biopsy done when he was about 75 years of age,but it thankfully proved positive.However he died of blood poisoning from the gut and we saw him die in agony with us finally giving the OK to turn of his life support machine.
Blood poisoning is a slight possibility and one that fills me with concern more than anything else,mate.I understand the % are very low,but I don`t know whether to just see my GP for 6 months and take a blood sample again,to see if the count has gone up from 5.9.My urine flow was excellent by all accounts and I certainly aint pissing every 5 minutes,but I`m not stupid enough to think that alls completely well and I couldn`t possibly have prostate problems.
Thanks for your concern mate and sorry your Dad suffered.

No bad mate,pity City done heehaw :( Jase has done well,him and Virgil have been immense. Heard City will be putting him out to a Championship club next,he's better than that. I'd play him alongside Vinny tbh.
Anyway,next season we'll be back #TOGETHER.
My Dad eventually got bone cancer,which I had never heard of before,passed away 5 years later.
He was 75,my granda was 74 when he went,cancer also.
I'm obviously set up for the off when I'm 73 then :(
Hope all goes well Alan,keep in touch pal.

oakiecokie said:
Saw a Consultant yesterday, having been referred by my own GP,after two blood samples showed a slight high reading of 5.1 and then 5.9.
When referrals are made the Consultant says she always offers a biopsy or I could be kept under watch by my own GP,with further blood checks over the next 12 months.
The consultant explained that for a biopsy a local anaesthetic into the anus would help and then explained the possible negatives ie. blood in stools,semen and urine for a few days,bleeding from the rectum,infection.
However my biggest concern is the slight risk of blood poisoning ( ).This brought back memories of my Dad dying from this 13 years ago and I really don`t know what to do.Has anyone had this procedure done and is it as bad as people make out ?

Let them monitor it for 12 months before you do anything.

Good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.