Put petrol in a diesel engine.....help!

BackofJeanette

Had a petrol hire car last week. Just took my Merc 220 to fuel up and put 4 gallon of petrol in.
Totally out of it, not concentrating, other things on my mind. So I had about 1 gall of diesel already in and filled it to the brim with 10 gall diesel.
Drove 2 miles home ok.
What shall I do. Call out the RAC and have it drained or just top up every chance I get?
I'm a right daft c**t!

Dont run the engine anymore, call RAC or a garage to empty it asap. Petrol will ruin the fuel pump if you run it too long. Just hope it didnt do too much damage or will need to get it replaced.

You will need to get the engine checked and hope no metal fragments from the pump have continued down the line and probably replace at least the filter.

Once went to Germany with a bird I was with - middle of the night on a German motorway. Saw benzel on the pump - assumed that meant diesel. It wasn't - meant pertrol. 2 miles later on the motorway car stops and smoke coming from the engine. About 3 in the morning and I can't speak German and it's pitch black. Think the place was called Marburg. A character building evening that was.

Contrary to previous posts, a few years back I half filled a Peugeot 406 diesel with petrol. After I'd realised, I filled the rest of the tank with diesel. It ran rough for about half a mile, but after that ran fine, and never had a problem.

That said, I don't recall if it had a cat fitted or not, which I believe is what can get knackered by an incorrect fill.

Google it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.