Put petrol in a diesel engine.....help!

I think you'll be alright if you keep topping it up with Diesel. If it was Diesel in a Petrol engine it would be fucked already but a bit of petrol in a diesel does no harm. 4 gallons may be a bit too much but if you've already driven it home you'll probably be ok.

Anyway, what could possibly go wrong following advice from someone you don't know on the internet?

Are you implying that a team of trained doctors, vets and marriage guidance councillors know nothing about the working of internal combustion engines.

Had a petrol hire car last week. Just took my Merc 220 to fuel up and put 4 gallon of petrol in.
Totally out of it, not concentrating, other things on my mind. So I had about 1 gall of diesel already in and filled it to the brim with 10 gall diesel.
Drove 2 miles home ok.
What shall I do. Call out the RAC and have it drained or just top up every chance I get?
I'm a right daft c**t!

Your diesel engine and fuel pump is lubricated by the very diesel you put in your vehicle - but the petrol won't do this. You might get away with 4 gallons, but it will be a tough choice between topping up with more diesel or taking it to the garage.

I think it's a common misconception that diesel engines will run on anything - but they won't.

Personally - and others with more knowledge might disagree; I think you'll be okay.

You'll notice any problems if the car begins to splutter or if you hear a knocking sound from the engine.

Last edited:
As has been said, it's not that bad so long as you keep topping up with diesel. When the car is left standing the petrol will stratify on top of the diesel so it will be in there for a while but as it mixes when you start the engine over time the ratio of petrol/diesel will reduce. If you're worried just drain it yourself I would bother paying someone. Make sure you have some diesel to put in afterwards ;-)

Mate of mine on our Air Engineers course in the RAF put diesel in his petrol Morris Minor. He was known as Diesel Jim for the rest of his Air Force career.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.