Qatar 2022

Qatar's award certainly seems corrupt.

But I think Qatar's case is unique in that their are a host of other factors against Qatar's hosting WC 2022 (security, doubt that indoor facilities can be finished on time, fallout with other Arabic nations, human rights issues) that it seems to me, more likely than not, that 2022 will end up elsewhere, if not on the basis of corruption, for practical reasons.
Security? Qatar has had one incident where one person was killed over a decade ago and whilst sad, it’s no where near a problem when measured against Europe at present.

The indoor facilities will all be finished well ahead of schedule, as will the stadia. One of them is already complete and the other seven are well on the way, some five years ahead of time.

I’ve covered human rights above.

The fall out with the UAE, Bahrain and Saudi is because Qatar allowed the Muslim Botherhood entry and refuses to extradite them on the grounds that whilst Egypt, Saudi and the UAE consider them a terrorist organisation (for having the audacity to call for redistribution of wealth and elections in the Arabian peninsula), Qatar, along with the UN, US, Britain and everywhere else, does not. They were outlawed in Egypt when democratically elected after the Arab spring by the military government following the military coup. It would be like Labour getting into power next, outlawing UKIP and then cutting ties with France for allowing UKIP exile in Paris.

Not particularly thrilled with the incredibly bent way this is being reported on, obviously there are some issues there, but the reporting borders on propaganda and you do have to wonder who is behind this narrative. The whole "they bought/bribed to get the world cup" angle is utterly farcical, given that that's how everyone has gotten every major sporting event in the past 50 years at least. FIFA even more bent than the IOC, anyone who's got "awarded" a tournament from them has bought it. Then a lot of the other things people are levelling at them don't seem to stand up to even the most basic scrutiny, it seems very suspicious that so many apparently proper journalists all seem to be pushing the same myths, distorted figures and half truths.

Personally I think it's a stupid place to have a world cup because it's simply not a suitable country to host a world cup(too hot, no one lives there, no legacy, etc etc). But the way it's being reported on doesn't sit right with me. People don't seem to give two shits about the way South Africa and Brazil went about their world cups and they were dodgy as fuck, Qatar can at least afford all the shits it's building

Then a lot of the other things people are levelling at them don't seem to stand up to even the most basic scrutiny, it seems very suspicious that so many apparently proper journalists all seem to be pushing the same myths, distorted figures and half truths.
The one that grates the most is the figure of 2,000 migrant workers having died since 2010 that I read the other day (Not in industrial accidents or falls of building sites, but all deaths including car accidents, drownings, heart attacks etc).

Well there are over 2,000,000 of them here. That’s one death per thousand over a 7 year period. Is that more or less people than one would expect to pass away out of so many in over two thirds of a decade?

The one that grates the most is the figure of 2,000 migrant workers having died since 2010 that I read the other day (Not in industrial accidents or falls of building sites, but all deaths including car accidents, drownings, heart attacks etc).

Well there are over 2,000,000 of them here. That’s one death per thousand over a 7 year period. Is that more or less people than one would expect to pass away out of so many in over two thirds of a decade?
Yeah, that one gets banded around all the time. Same for them talking about the low pay and dangerous working conditions, what sort of work do they think these migrant workers would be doing back home if they weren't in Qatar? They are doing the same jobs they'd be doing back home, but for more money in better conditions. Granted still not great pay or great conditions, but significantly better than they had back home, hence why they chose to be migrant workers.

The BBC constantly go on about how the migrant workers are dropping like flies, one peek behind the curtains and their politics start to show.

The BBC constantly go on about how the migrant workers are dropping like flies, one peek behind the curtains and their politics start to show.

I seem to remember @Damocles once did a very in depth look at the numbers and compared them to how many deaths would have been expected from that amount of people if they lived in their own country during that period of time.

Will those journalist on a freebie for a month over there, some who are currently spending time the LIVGolf tournament slagging off the Saudis rather than report on the event. Will they do the same in Qatar or call it "The greatest World Cup Ever!" By the end of it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.