Question about Cup winners

Mr Partridge

OK, so this is something that has got me thinking, and there's bound to be a lot of you on here more knowledgeable about football in general than me who could help me out.

If you play for a team that wins a cup final but you're not involved in(i.e not in the squad) are you officially a "cup winner"? The reason I ask is because when I got back last night I put on the Sky Sports highlights and they mentioned that KDB was injured for the 2016 final and then said this was his first one?! So basically even though he played in the earlier rounds, because he missed the final he wasn't recognised as a "cup winner" in 2016?

I always thought the whole squad "won the cup" but is it just the players that actually play? Have Sterling and Delph officially "won it twice"? What about Mendy? Is he a cup winner now as well?

Does anybody know how it all works?

OK, so this is something that has got me thinking, and there's bound to be a lot of you on here more knowledgeable about football in general than me who could help me out.

If you play for a team that wins a cup final but you're not involved in(i.e not in the squad) are you officially a "cup winner"? The reason I ask is because when I got back last night I put on the Sky Sports highlights and they mentioned that KDB was injured for the 2016 final and then said this was his first one?! So basically even though he played in the earlier rounds, because he missed the final he wasn't recognised as a "cup winner" in 2016?

I always thought the whole squad "won the cup" but is it just the players that actually play? Have Sterling and Delph officially "won it twice"? What about Mendy? Is he a cup winner now as well?

Does anybody know how it all works?
I think they meant 'first one' as in playing a final for city. I am quite sure he still received a medal as he played in the previous rounds, like Delph yesterday.

Isn't it usually just the 18 players in the matchday squad who are given medals? So that would mean the likes of Delph, Yaya and Sterling don't get one.

Isn't it usually just the 18 players in the matchday squad who are given medals? So that would mean the likes of Delph, Yaya and Sterling don't get one.

Not nowadays, AFAIAA.

Anyone, who has played in any round of the competition, will receive a medal.

Not nowadays, AFAIAA.

That's what I thought. Obviously with the league it's a bit more simple, you just have to play a certain number of games to qualify for a medal, but with a cup it would be very harsh if a player contributed in every round then got injured for the final and wasn't therefore a cup winner.

Not nowadays, AFAIAA.

I always thought it was the match day squad all receive one and the club can then ask for more subject to approval and pay for any additional medals.

Shay Given said recently that although he was on the bench for the 2011 FA Cup Final, and therefore received a medal, he doesn't feel like an FA Cup winner because he didn't play any part.

Shay Given said recently that although he was on the bench for the 2011 FA Cup Final, and therefore received a medal, he doesn't feel like an FA Cup winner because he didn't play any part.

That's a bit of false modesty from Shay. You are part of a squad. He would have been involved. He would have helped prep Joe in his warm ups, made sure Joe was comfortable and his head was in the right place, being a young goalkeeper in a major final. Just because you don't contribute on the pitch on the day doesn't mean you haven't contributed in the build up during the week and on the day itself by having a good attitude.

That is my attitude now, being a coach and manager in the last couple of years has changed my perspective. When I was a player I would have thought similar to Shay. I'm not in, can't help, bit of a sulk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.