Questions on Young Players

yankcitizen76

I just had a series of questions concerning young players that City tries out for the Academy squads. At what age can a kid start playing in the City Academy? Are players offered contracts at a certain age or can they keep playing on a per trial basis? If they move to the first team squad are their contracts considered professional or do they sign a new one? If someone could clear this up for me, that would be great.

City take kids at the academy from the age of 5, they can sign a 1 year contract at 8 years of age, then if still there at 11 they can sign a 2 year contract, if still there at 16 it becomes a scholarship/old yts, they can sign them on a pro contract if good enough from the age of leaving school you don't have to be in the first team to be on a pro contract.

Pigeonho said:
My stepson's team have just been invited to play City under 7's in April, them them having an eye on him and 3 other lads. They've told us to make sure we take up the offer and that he could end up being invited to join city's team. Happy days.

Hi Pige, that's great news but worth exercising some caution.

The U6's and U7's at platt lane, play junior teams nearly every weekend (usually a year older) and the numbers selected to come back and join are extremely small (I'm guessing at around about 1-2 per month max), the usual route would be to be invited to a development centre first, then if they shine there, on to a shadow squad at Platt Lane and if they shine there on to the elites at Platt Lane.

It's a great experience for the boys, I'm sure he'll love it.

OxBlue said:
Pigeonho said:
My stepson's team have just been invited to play City under 7's in April, them them having an eye on him and 3 other lads. They've told us to make sure we take up the offer and that he could end up being invited to join city's team. Happy days.

Hi Pige, that's great news but worth exercising some caution.

The U6's and U7's at platt lane, play junior teams nearly every weekend (usually a year older) and the numbers selected to come back and join are extremely small (I'm guessing at around about 1-2 per month max), the usual route would be to be invited to a development centre first, then if they shine there, on to a shadow squad at Platt Lane and if they shine there on to the elites at Platt Lane.

It's a great experience for the boys, I'm sure he'll love it.
Thanks bud. We aren't expecting the new city number 10 of the 2027 season. It's just nice to see him recognised :-)

tommo74 said:
City take kids at the academy from the age of 5, they can sign a 1 year contract at 8 years of age, then if still there at 11 they can sign a 2 year contract, if still there at 16 it becomes a scholarship/old yts, they can sign them on a pro contract if good enough from the age of leaving school you don't have to be in the first team to be on a pro contract.

On top of that from U12 some players are invited to go to into the St Bedes programme and are there guaranteed private schooling up to 16. Effectively barring disaster this means you are signed for 5 years. The rest of the squad are offered day release from school.

There are further chances to to go into the St Bedes programme up to the age of U14.

The current U11s find out tonight as it happens :-) ...........fingers crossed in my house.....
Updated
Happy house ... Well done son .

gh_mcfc said:
tommo74 said:

On top of that from U12 some players are invited to go to into the St Bedes programme and are there guaranteed private schooling up to 16. Effectively barring disaster this means you are signed for 5 years. The rest of the squad are offered day release from school.

There are further chances to to go into the St Bedes programme up to the age of U14.

The current U11s find out tonight as it happens :-) ...........fingers crossed in my house.....
Updated
Happy house ... Well done son .
Correct, my nephew is at St Bedes, doing very well I'm told.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.