Queues

If they wished to gain entry to the stadium, they just have to leave it until near the end .... the gates near us 132, are opened, and often local kids pile in and watch the last five or ten mins. Makes a mockery of the searches.

Totally agree with this. If the club were really serious about security and not just paying lip service to it they would have people preventing access to the stadium when the gates are opened near the end of games. It's an open invitation to a terrorist. Why make it easy for them.
The clubs thinking on security is very narrow.
There are also mega problems outside the stadium both before and after the game, which are more difficult to solve but they are the soft targets that are more likely to attract terrorists.
The searches on entering the ground need to be real and not just cursery and ad hoc, as at present.

This going to sound crass but it isn't intended that way. A massive club over the road with American owners would grab bigger headlines.

Another thing that makes a mockery of the searches is this little gem;

My uncle, a lot on here will know him as Badger, got through security checks at two consecutive home games whilst wearing his scarf full of about 3-400 badges under a jacket. On one of the occasions, he unzipped his jacket and asked how the scarf wasn't picked up.

"Ssshhh, there's no batteries in the device." came the reply.

Badger is a fucking legend.

Entrance B gets longer every week.

I think the whole thing needs revising... I don't have the answer myself, but I went to the Stone Roses and the queues were nowhere near as bad.

Every game I have the same items in my coat pocket. Keys, Phone, Specs (in metal case) and several coins. I've never been challenged after being 'wanded'. Not once.

There's no way I'd get through any airport security carrying any one of those items, let alone all of them. I have no faith whatsoever that the current so-called 'security' procedures at the Etihad are effective.

In the aftermath of the terrible events at the Arena the whole security approach at the Etihad has to improve drastically. As others have suggested, I would agree that an initial check alongside armed police presence needs to be made at the perimeter entrances, followed by effective checks at the turnstiles - and using wands that actually work.

The fact remains that we now know that entrance checks alone will not deter a terrorist. City Square and the turnstile approaches are arguably more vulnerable that the Arena foyer. Our world changed on Monday night and City along with the GMP need to get it sorted. A hell of a lot of football supporters (me included) will no longer feel safe until they do so. If it takes longer to enter the stadium then so be it.

Would be very surprised if we dont have perimeter checks next season, the trams. Would be the tricky bit as it would bring you up inside the perimeter and is used by non match going public that would need to be checked at the top of the steps I'd guess.

I think the way forward is to have gates and security checks before entering around the ground.
This will be staggered for a few hours up till kick as people want to watch the entertainment beforehand and people turn up later and straight into the ground.
Think I can remember something similar at Munich

I've attended straight from work many times with a rucksack full of my work gear I've changed out of and various things like phone chargers and that. They always had a look inside, saw clothes and left it. Once I emptied it when I got home from a match to find some of the cardboard cutters and blades that I had long ago thrown into the bottom of the bag. That was about 2 years ago, they'll have to up their game I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.