Queues

Every game I have the same items in my coat pocket. Keys, Phone, Specs (in metal case) and several coins. I've never been challenged after being 'wanded'. Not once.

There's no way I'd get through any airport security carrying any one of those items, let alone all of them. I have no faith whatsoever that the current so-called 'security' procedures at the Etihad are effective.

In the aftermath of the terrible events at the Arena the whole security approach at the Etihad has to improve drastically. As others have suggested, I would agree that an initial check alongside armed police presence needs to be made at the perimeter entrances, followed by effective checks at the turnstiles - and using wands that actually work.

The fact remains that we now know that entrance checks alone will not deter a terrorist. City Square and the turnstile approaches are arguably more vulnerable that the Arena foyer. Our world changed on Monday night and City along with the GMP need to get it sorted. A hell of a lot of football supporters (me included) will no longer feel safe until they do so. If it takes longer to enter the stadium then so be it.

I go to away games and sometimes you have to show the inside of your glasses case and your keys, but I don't know what the wand shakers at the Etihad are looking for?

I've never been asked to reveal the contents of my pockets.

There is always a large blue bin in the area around the turnstiles, and they seem more interested in stopping people entering the ground with flasks of coffee and bottles of water in their bags than detecting explosives.

Last season I went to Newcastle. There was a sniffer dog which obviously failed to smell a blue with a flair in his or her pocket, as it landed next to me when it was lit, and it's not the only time it has happened.

I don't think security at football grounds is taken seriously. What are those disguised coat hangers they use to scan us supposed to reveal?

Walk down Ashton Road after a game heading back into town, and there are thousands all over the road walking along. How can you stop a 40 ton truck with a crazed madman at the wheel driving up the hill at 60 MPH mowing people down?

You can't, and there is only so much the security services can do, but I can't help thinking the bag searches before you enter a ground, be it home or away, are nothing more than a box ticking exercise for the benefit of the elf and safety brigade at the clubs involved.

Every game I have the same items in my coat pocket. Keys, Phone, Specs (in metal case) and several coins. I've never been challenged after being 'wanded'. Not once.

There's no way I'd get through any airport security carrying any one of those items, let alone all of them. I have no faith whatsoever that the current so-called 'security' procedures at the Etihad are effective.

In the aftermath of the terrible events at the Arena the whole security approach at the Etihad has to improve drastically. As others have suggested, I would agree that an initial check alongside armed police presence needs to be made at the perimeter entrances, followed by effective checks at the turnstiles - and using wands that actually work.

The fact remains that we now know that entrance checks alone will not deter a terrorist. City Square and the turnstile approaches are arguably more vulnerable that the Arena foyer. Our world changed on Monday night and City along with the GMP need to get it sorted. A hell of a lot of football supporters (me included) will no longer feel safe until they do so. If it takes longer to enter the stadium then so be it.

I've been "challenged" a few times. Usually "Is that your keys in your pocket?" "No, that's my Kindle/phone/radio" "Okay". I was asked once to produce my keys from of my pocket, but wasn't asked to show that there was anything else there.

It does come across as a token gesture, a nod to increased security rather than increased security. Many on here have made the obvious point that a terrorist attack is more likely to occur on the Metro or outside the ground. If anything the security checks just increase the number of people who would be caught up in an attack outside the ground. If we know that, surely the club knows it?

Theres absolutely nothing that can be done. No matter where you do security checks there will be crowds, and they are the soft targets.
The bomber didnt have a ticket to the gig, he didnt get in the arena, he was in a place where no security checks take place

well done Showsec and MCFC match day security

Brilliant today not a queue in sight, not before time.

Was able to get in, by a pound dog and get a beer, and still made it to my seat in time for the kick off.

Big queues for me getting in today, but on the plus side they've actually put some batteries in the metal detectors, I actually set one off today.

Got there at 2:20 was in for 2:35 sure people are making it up when they say they miss KO when they queue 45 minutes beforehand

Took my kid today which I don't often get to do. I noticed they didn't search him at all and waved him through. That kinda makes every other search pointless as if I wanted to smuggle anything in (which I dont) then that's the obv way forward. Is it normal not to bother searching kids? I'm pretty certain a terrorist wouldn't think twice about using them so why not? Just makes a mockery of the whole security. Either do it right or not at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.