R. I. P. The 39

It was completely different to Hillsboro except for innocent fans dying.

Not sure why both cannot be discussion points & I think the shouting down of heysel always feels like a cover up.

Heysel was caused by hooligans intent on revenge from Rome the year before. The wall collapsed due to people retreating from an attack, it wasn't 14 people but hundreds involved so there was a deal to make a few responsible as others have said.

The fact that the club tried to blame it on Chelses fans & have never formally apologised leaves a bad taste. A fan of Chelsea possibly finds it as distasteful as an article from the sun blaming the Liverpool fans.

Jft39 could be point scoring by some but it would be interesting to see if the same incident happened today if only 14 would be convicted.
I think that sums up the distaste many of us feel without ant attempt at 'point scoring'. Bravo.

Looking back, it’s amazing how some of the worst hooligan incidents occurred in such a short space of time, during the 84-85 season.
Chelsea v Sunderland League Cup Semi Final
Luton v Millwall FA Cup
United v Liverpool FA Cup Semi Final at both Goodison and Maine Road

City were hardly angels, and I can still recall the mayhem at Highfield Road.

Heysel was the inevitable consequence of mixing English stupidity with shambolic organisation.
Would it have happened if Liverpool had lost their Semi Final against Panathinaikos?

We’ll never know, but on a day like this, we should simply ask for forgiveness.

How would we have qualified, finishing 5th each year?
Even if the FA Cup and League Cup winners finished above us, their spots were taken up by the runners up.

The FA Cup got Cup winners Cup and the League Cup has never given a spot to the runner up. So in 1992 when United came 2nd and won the League Cup... Hence Liverpool did not get in Europe this season losing to City, neither did Sunderland in 2013 or Bolton in 1995.

Before the ban was the same in 1984 QPR came 5th and qualified for the UEFA Cup with Everton in 7th in the Cup Winners Cup and Spurs 8th in the UEFA due to being holders.

The FA Cup got Cup winners Cup and the League Cup has never given a spot to the runner up. So in 1992 when United came 2nd and won the League Cup... Hence Liverpool did not get in Europe this season losing to City, neither did Sunderland in 2013 or Bolton in 1995.

Before the ban was the same in 1984 QPR came 5th and qualified for the UEFA Cup with Everton in 7th in the Cup Winners Cup and Spurs 8th in the UEFA due to being holders.
Thanks - bloody hell I had forgotten about the FA Cup winners going into the ECWC!

14 Liverpool fans were convicted and went to prison - what justice are people asking for today? Seems a bit of a pointless thread this which would be more suited to ragcafe. Sad point scoring exercise.
For me it's never been about the sentencing more about the lack of contrition from the club.
The tendency to speak about hillsborough when discussing heysel stems from a feeling of annoyance that a club so vociferous and determined to see justice done could be so mute about a tragedy that also involved their supporters.
What happened at hillsborough was a result of mistakes being made and the aftermath of lies and cover-ups meant the truth had to be rightly sought after but no-one set out to cause physical damage to another human, something that can't be said about heysel.
Liverpools end of season review that year glossed over the tragedy suggesting it was time to move on and the commemorative plaque to those that lost their lives took 25 years to be put up.
It is a stain on the clubs name that what little contrition they have shown has been almost dragged out of them over the years and it's especially sad that a higher value seems to have been attached to the memory of some people's lives than others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.