Radio Manchester City Coverage

Eccles Blue

I looked but couldn't see a thread about this so here goes:

I just read this on Facebook and am absolutely disgusted so I am posting it here.

"BBC Radio Manchester and Ian Cheeseman are not currently expected to cover the MCFC game in the Champions League next week against Dynamo Kyiv. Instead it will be BBC Radio Five Live taking away our local coverage. If you are not happy let the BBC know 0161 335 6950 as soon as it comes on Five live next wednesday

Please can every Blue forward this message onto every city fan you know - if nobody complains to the BBC and City next Wednesday onwards then we might lose City commentary and Blue Tuesday by The Legend Ian Cheeseman.

Just a reminder to only contact the BBC and CITY if you are as unhappy as I am about this next Wednesday evening as soon as 5 live commentary of City comes on the radio.

More information to contact the BBC and CITY if needed. Really hope as many Blues as possible will support this and contact the BBC and City to complain that BBC sport and Ian Cheeseman are not commentating on CITY."

There are numbers/email addresses for people to contact Radio Manchester and Manchester City. If we lose our local commentary, which is already being eroded, as I understand it, so the next thing will be that we lose Radio Manchester itself. Plus whatever anybody thinks of Ian Cheeseman (& I think he is absolutely amazing) we also will lose him.

Not surprising, tough times. If there is national interest then why would the BBC want to dispatch two lots of reporters, technicians etc etc ?

Last edited:
Seeing it's in Europe the local station should go and broadcast it around the uk seeing as you don't need to be impartial..

I looked but couldn't see a thread about this so here goes:

I just read this on Facebook and am absolutely disgusted so I am posting it here.

"BBC Radio Manchester and Ian Cheeseman are not currently expected to cover the MCFC game in the Champions League next week against Dynamo Kyiv. Instead it will be BBC Radio Five Live taking away our local coverage. If you are not happy let the BBC know 0161 335 6950 as soon as it comes on Five live next wednesday

Please can every Blue forward this message onto every city fan you know - if nobody complains to the BBC and City next Wednesday onwards then we might lose City commentary and Blue Tuesday by The Legend Ian Cheeseman.

Just a reminder to only contact the BBC and CITY if you are as unhappy as I am about this next Wednesday evening as soon as 5 live commentary of City comes on the radio.

More information to contact the BBC and CITY if needed. Really hope as many Blues as possible will support this and contact the BBC and City to complain that BBC sport and Ian Cheeseman are not commentating on CITY."

There are numbers/email addresses for people to contact Radio Manchester and Manchester City. If we lose our local commentary, which is already being eroded, as I understand it, so the next thing will be that we lose Radio Manchester itself. Plus whatever anybody thinks of Ian Cheeseman (& I think he is absolutely amazing) we also will lose him.

You're clearly a big fan of Ian Cheeseman, fair play for that, but I don't really understand the outrage?

The BBC has a remit to inform and entertain on a national and local level. For regular games where the main interest is local, City's games are covered on GMR. For this European game it's being covered on 5Live as it's of national interest. Surely it's a good thing that the BBC are covering this City fans and football fans all over the country, as opposed to just those in Greater Manchester an enjoy the game?

If you expect them to send a national crew and a local GMR crew to Ukraine, I'm not sure how realistic that is? As the BBC is publicly funded, it has to show value for money and that it is covering things in the public interest. As this game is being covered on their national radio station, I think it's difficult to argue that it's in the public interest to provide partisan local coverage from an ardent City fan in addition to the national coverage.

I like Ian Cheeseman too, I think he does a great job. The privately owned media are all over the BBC when it comes to them exploiting their position as a publicly funded broadcaster. There's no way a commercial station could have national and local coverage of an away European game in Ukraine. I think it's unrealistic to expect it of the BBC.

I think Ian Cheeseman does a brilliant job but I am sure this is purely a financial decision by the BBC. They are always getting slated for 'wasting' public money. It's not that they have left City fans unlucky not to be able to watch it on TV with nothing, they are broadcasting to a national audience on one of their other stations. The BBC seem damned if they do & dawned if they don't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.