Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a number of flaws that make him unreliable . He falls over at the slightest touch and has no awareness near goal. For me he is not a star of the future unless he can overcome these issues not just for one or two games but consistently. His preference to pass the ball back or sideways needs sorting out and his ball control is like someone playing with a beach ball. I don't see him as being the guy to play with Gabriel Jesus unless he improves.

I'm starting to think he would be an excellent wing-back in a 3-4-3. But in 4-3-3 he doesn't pose enough of a potent goal threat to be part of the front three. All the great teams using that formation have a front three of almost equal, genuine goal threat.

As a wing-back he could chime in with the odd goal but his main objectives would be assists and creating space -- things that he is already excellent at. He is also starting to understand the importance of tracking back in defence and improving there. He may get better with his goal sense, though I haven't seen improvement in that area so far.

I really like him. Great to watch (except in front of goal) when he is confident and playing well. Hard to watch when he's put through on goal with only the keeper to beat and he tries to sidestep Neville No One, thus allowing the defence to catch him up and he either scuffs his shot or doesn't get one off. Just shoot lad!

Thoughts anyone on the position that best suits his abilities? Would a position with lesser goal scoring pressure help or hinder his development?

I'm starting to think he would be an excellent wing-back in a 3-4-3. But in 4-3-3 he doesn't pose enough of a potent goal threat to be part of the front three. All the great teams using that formation have a front three of almost equal, genuine goal threat.

As a wing-back he could chime in with the odd goal but his main objectives would be assists and creating space -- things that he is already excellent at. He is also starting to understand the importance of tracking back in defence and improving there. He may get better with his goal sense, though I haven't seen improvement in that area so far.

I really like him. Great to watch (except in front of goal) when he is confident and playing well. Hard to watch when he's put through on goal with only the keeper to beat and he tries to sidestep Neville No One, thus allowing the defence to catch him up and he either scuffs his shot or doesn't get one off. Just shoot lad!

Thoughts anyone on the position that best suits his abilities? Would a position with lesser goal scoring pressure help or hinder his development?
The bench:). He seriously needs to improve to get game time with Gabby now fit

Although he didn't end up getting goals/assists I thought he came on & upped the tempo significantly, immediately looked a threat, was charging around winning the ball back & seemed to be the guy who gave us a kick up the ass to start playing. Helped change the game when he came on.

One of the attributes I feel is under-appreciated in players at times.

Loved how he was demanding the ball late on today. He actually does something positive when he gets the ball too.

Is no where near strong enough to be a wing back, its embarrassing at times how easily he gets bullied off the ball.

He has a number of flaws that make him unreliable . He falls over at the slightest touch and has no awareness near goal. For me he is not a star of the future unless he can overcome these issues not just for one or two games but consistently. His preference to pass the ball back or sideways needs sorting out and his ball control is like someone playing with a beach ball. I don't see him as being the guy to play with Gabriel Jesus unless he improves.
Wow. This post has made me give up on city fans

Still an enigma to me.

Last season I thought the jury was out. Earlier this season he was my MotM more often than anyone else. In some recent games, though, he has been appalling.

Next year ?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.