Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the usual suspects are here writing him off once more. #supporters

Overall I'd give him a 7/10 for the season. He's had some fantastic performances, shone in Europe and improved on his goals scored and assists.
He also slipped back into the Sterling of last season on occasions and there were games where he didn't show up at all which was disappointing. There's still inconsistencies in his game and there's still improvements to be made and I suppose that's where the arguments lie between his supporters and detractors. Those who don't like him will concentrate on the negatives whilst those who see a player will focus on the positives.

Had a great season. Him and Sane ran out of steam towards the end which is understandable and will supported by Jesus and possibly Sanchez/Roberts over 50 games next year to keep them fresh

You write that and then in your very next post accuse someone of grasping at straws. So lets put all emotion and opinion on one side and look at the facts then. The team won 3-1 and 5-0 against West Brom and Watford respectively without sterling which in your opinion is no coincidence. Outside of those there's been 10 games in which the team have scored 4 or more goals with the team scoring 5 in half of them. Sterling has not only been involved in every single one of those games, he's been a major feature in each. You just seem stuck on your viewpoint of him regardless of what evidence whether video or facts are presented to you. I bet you'll be here again next season after another good season by him where he features prominently with the same points.

Summed it up perfectly.

Sterling has proven his worth for a majority of the season. A lot of fans seem to either have very selective memories or have been clouded by the last couple of months where his performances have not been great probably as a result of how much he'd featured for the season but he has 10 goals and 20 assists for a reason. I know someone will say those masks his performances so for those who wants to see for their own eyes, I've compiled a list of key match highlights from all the champions league games that he has played in this season. I used the champions league as its a smaller sample size but you get a general idea of how important he has been and is to the side from these highlights of key events in the games. Outside of that monaco away game he's been pretty much involved in most of the teams best chances in all those games. You would find this to also be the case for most premier league games he's played this season but its the one or two times he wastes a good chance that will be remembered rather than the four or five times he created good chances for his teammates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD1vL8tfvcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6B1JjsJOs

20 assists? I'm not disagreeing and I'm a fan of Raheem and his stats are very good this year, but I have him down for 10 assists for league & Europe.
If it is 10 goals and 20 assists, he's been terrific.
Where does the 20 assists stats come from?

20 assists? I'm not disagreeing and I'm a fan of Raheem and his stats are very good this year, but I have him down for 10 assists for league & Europe.
If it is 10 goals and 20 assists, he's been terrific.
Where does the 20 assists stats come from?
Yeah it's 10 goals 9 assists in all competitions this season, compared to Sané with 9 goals 5 assists... difference between them being one started the season exceptionally one finished exceptionally.

Stats don't always tell the whole story, even the people doing the numbers don't seem to truly know the players looking at Goal.com's "Player Characteristics" for both players.

He's 22y.o and just finished his first season under a coach that has been challenging him and asking lots of him to improve him, I can only see a bright future for Sterling personally he's only going to improve. At times in the champions league earlier in the season he had the rest of Europe sitting up taking notice, he can build on that by getting some consistency to his game(if you've already done it before you can do it again) and improving the finer details.

Yeah it's 10 goals 9 assists in all competitions this season, compared to Sané with 9 goals 5 assists... difference between them being one started the season exceptionally one finished exceptionally.

Stats don't always tell the whole story, even the people doing the numbers don't seem to truly know the players looking at Goal.com's "Player Characteristics" for both players.

He's 22y.o and just finished his first season under a coach that has been challenging him and asking lots of him to improve him, I can only see a bright future for Sterling personally he's only going to improve. At times in the champions league earlier in the season he had the rest of Europe sitting up taking notice, he can build on that by getting some consistency to his game(if you've already done it before you can do it again) and improving the finer details.

Oh, you're preaching to the converted. I ha e a lot of time for the lad.
His stats are good and he likely tailed off a little due to playing every minute of every game while Sane recovered and got up to speed.

I was just questioning the 20 assists, I've seen it elsewhere too, I'd just like to know the source.

Oh, you're preaching to the converted. I ha e a lot of time for the lad.
His stats are good and he likely tailed off a little due to playing every minute of every game while Sane recovered and got up to speed.

I was just questioning the 20 assists, I've seen it elsewhere too, I'd just like to know the source.
Oh I wasn't under the impression you weren't I just was speaking generally in that last paragraph, I saw the part where you said you were fan.

Maybe 20 is his City career total?

Edit: Ok the problem is FAC and CC aren't always included this season he's got 14 assists for City in all competitions(5 in the FA cup). Making that a City career total of 22 assists since he joined(8 last season).

Source: ESPN Player Profile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.