Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why everyone is writing off Sterling. Pep doesn't really have a first eleven, everyone will play a lot and we'll have great players coming off the bench. More competition will only force Sane, Sterling and everyone else to improve and get even better. This is what happens at top clubs. Sterling and Sane basically had no competition this season, next season it will be a different story and everyone will benefit.

Correct.

The only time you will see regualr use of something approaching a first XI will be the very end of the season.

I agree with a lot of your points but I think that the same criticism of Sterling also stands with Sane & is just something which happens with fast, young, wide players. When Sane beats 3 men, tries to flick the ball, misses it completely & falls on his arse, he gets a kind of motherly 'awww' from the crowd (which is how City fans used to be with most young players) wheras Sterling tends to get a 'for fucks sake'. Sane has missed several chances to play in Jesus, already, in this brief time.

The big difference imo, is that Sane looks like he will be a player who will quickly get better & better at finishing chances when put through on goal & Sterling looks as if it will be a gradual improvement, if there is one.

But imo, we have quickly become reliant on both performing & yet they also have a lot of running to do. It's too much & both were struggling to maintain the required level game after game.

Now, they don't have to & they have Silva & maybe another, competing with both of them (not just with Sterling) & also helping keep them fresh with rotation.

I agree. Pep has commented on not wanting his players to have to make long sprints frequently, he wants the team to be compact and win the ball back quickly in the opponent's half; obviously a different way to save your legs than rotation but still requiring lots of effort and concentration; intensity that will be supported by rotation.

Sterling does get an unwarranted level of stick.

I don't know why everyone is writing off Sterling. Pep doesn't really have a first eleven, everyone will play a lot and we'll have great players coming off the bench. More competition will only force Sane, Sterling and everyone else to improve and get even better. This is what happens at top clubs. Sterling and Sane basically had no competition this season, next season it will be a different story and everyone will benefit.
This,pep made over 100 changes last season,everyone will get plenty of game time,it's better for the younger players to develop in their own time
I really don't get why blues are always putting him down so much

I've grown to like Sterling - but, when we originally bought him I thought "Oh no!"

But since his signing - I've seen him successfully take on defenders one-on-one - make good crosses on a fairly consistent basis - contribute on defense - and seemingly contribute to team chemistry. Overall a huge plus for our side - not to mention his pace which causes huge problems for our opponents.

Sterling's major weakness seems to be a lack of self-confidence - when in a scoring opporunity, Sterling passes when shooting is clearly better.

When Sane beats 3 men, tries to flick the ball, misses it completely & falls on his arse, he gets a kind of motherly 'awww' from the crowd (which is how City fans used to be with most young players) wheras Sterling tends to get a 'for fucks sake'.

Ne'er a truer word spoken.

Ne'er a truer word spoken.
the two players are very different in styles , but when Sane looses the ball he gets up and chases it down fans love that about him.
I said earlier in the season that Sterling was not working as hard as Sane nor was he putting his foot into tackles.
Sterling is a fabulous player who i am overjoyed we signed i just do not believe he is fully committed yet

the two players are very different in styles , but when Sane looses the ball he gets up and chases it down fans love that about him.
I said earlier in the season that Sterling was not working as hard as Sane nor was he putting his foot into tackles.
Sterling is a fabulous player who i am overjoyed we signed i just do not believe he is fully committed yet

Sterling does put his foot in his foot in but he's not very good at it, just as likely to foul as win the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.