Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem Sterling has is he is very poor in beating his man one-on-one via the dribble. I've said this before, he is excellent at seeing and timing his runs. He also uses his quickness well; if he has a jump on you, you are not catching him, simple as that. The problem I have with him is when he goes against a fullback that is just as quick as him and is fairly good at defending, if he can't get behind him via his runs, he is totally useless because he cannot beat him on the dribble (like Sane can). He knows this, and therefore doesn't even really try. You can tell very quickly when Sterling is not going to have a good game simply by observing him vs his fullback for a few minutes. If the fullback is committed to defending and not attacking (like in the Liverpool game), plays him closely and is just as quick, you can simply forget about Sterling for that game.

Still having a good year, banging in goals, so kudos to him. Just need to be aware of his limitations and accept them. If you ask me, Sanchez would have been an improvement for such situations (NOT ALL SITUATIONS, before someone jumps on me) and Sterling probably had the most to worry about if Sanchez was coming, but since he's not, so we'll have to make due with him.

I'm sorry but I'm struggling to understand this post if it's from someone who've been watching sterling the whole season. So what you see as a weakness is that he doesn't use his speed to dribble on the outside of the fullbacks often when there's space behind and as such he struggles or in your words is 'useless' against fullbacks that are quick. Outside of the fact that is not the only way that a player can beat a fullback through a dribble, it's also the one that requires the least technical ability or skill. Basically what you want is your typical head down and dribble player who relies on their acceleration more than anything to beat their fullbacks(see zaha). The type which england have been producing for the past 10 years and require little intelligence in their game but rather sheer athletic ability. Well luckily sterling is a rare breed of an english winger with actual intelligence and technical ability in his game that he doesn't require that to be effective.

If sterling was to come up against a fullback who he can't beat on the outside for pace, he will just use plenty of the other tools he has in his game.

1. He either waits for an underlapping run often made by de bruyne into space created by the fullback being drawn to him and will play a pass to. such runs are very rarely if ever picked up and often leads to either a clear cross or even sight towards the goal for de bruyne. There's been so many examples of this move that there's no point to list

2. He will wait until he is doubled up and then play a pass on the inside which can at times create overloads on the other side of the pitch for an attack to form.

3. He will just easily dribble on the inside of the fullback which takes more skill and is even harder to defend against. This also gives him many more options on what to do which leads to the next point

4. His most favoured move and by far the most effective method of breaking down a stubborn defence. He will dribble inside and play combinations which can either be a quick one-two, a pass and third-man run into the box that draws defenders towards him and creates space for the other attackers or just a plain drive towards the box and goal drawing defenders to him which could either cause a foul/penalty or create a shooting chance.

If he consistently did what you deem his weakness and took defenders on the outside with his pace, the winning goals against southampton, newcastle and huddersfield wouldn't have happened all goals that won the team vital points so to claim he's useless if faced with a quick fullback is frankly false. This is a young player who's game IQ is getting to world class level this season. One playing with more awareness, intelligence and technique than any young winger in the game right now imo. There might be some who may have better technical ability on the ball than him (shooting, crossing, dribbling, passing), but very few if any has the understanding of the game he has and is showing this season. Thankfully he also has a manager who values that part of the game more than any.

He is not a dribbler in the Hazard or Mahrez mould. We have that in Bernardo Silva though.

What a season Raheem is having-again, mature, effective, intelligent and reliable. Wonderful player.

For me Sterling often looks out of his depth in the team, he lacks the overall skill that most of the players possess.

What makes him effective is his incredible acceleration and 100% commitment, he gives it everything, going forward and backwards.

I don't think Sanchez would necessarily have taken his place long term.

"Out of his depth" lol.

One interesting thing is if you take a look att expected goals this season. He's scored 14 in the PL but with chances he's had hes expected to score 10,76 goals meaning he scored 3,24 more goals than should've. The only players that have been more efficient are Coutinho (-3,36), Martial (-3,67), Mahrez (-4,19) and Doukoure (-4,76).
Pretty impressive for someone that apparently can't finish and hit a ball properly.
In comparison with other City players only Sane (-2,33) and KDB (-2,42) are "close" to him. The worst are Jesus (2,71) and David Silva (2,46)

"Out of his depth" lol.

One interesting thing is if you take a look att expected goals this season. He's scored 14 in the PL but with chances he's had hes expected to score 10,76 goals meaning he scored 3,24 more goals than should've. The only players that have been more efficient are Coutinho (-3,36), Martial (-3,67), Mahrez (-4,19) and Doukoure (-4,76).
Pretty impressive for someone that apparently can't finish and hit a ball properly.
In comparison with other City players only Sane (-2,33) and KDB (-2,42) are "close" to him. The worst are Jesus (2,71) and David Silva (2,46)

Interesting, have you got Aguero's figure by any chance? or a link to where I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.