Rainbow laces campaign

I think that if players knew they were going to stay at the same club for the rest of their career, then then would visibly back the campaign. But with the nature of transfers, being seen as pro gay could restrict their future movements - potential trouble in a more old fashioned dressing room.
Some players from homophobic countries in the league may not be in support of this campaign(and would not voice them publically).
Most players are in their 20s, maybe unsure of themselves regarding siding with a political/societal cause, when they really are just footballers in a career, with enough pressure as it is.
The players in the closet, well its their choice to stay in. Team sports have peer pressure but whats right is what matters.
Maybe an understanding manager is what is required. Perhaps the player doesn't want to disrupt team harmony by bringing focus/news to the the club on a trivial matter \(to themselves) but out of proportion because of the uniqueness, even though it is nothing to be ashamed of.

It would be nice if people could attend a football match to forget for 90 minutes all the shite in the outside world, and be left to be angry happy gutted or delighted due to what happens on the pitch,and personally would prefer it if all this was left outside the stadium.
The problem is that it's often not left outside the stadium. Homophobia, that is, or at the very least, homophobic language. The reality is that football and professional men's team sports are an environment that's hostile to homosexuality, as evidenced by the number of openly gay male footballers. Yes, their sexuality is nothing to do with the game, but pretty much every straight footballer openly shares their wedding photos for example, while gay players presumably hide their relationships. In principle, it is only a gesture, but it's one that could potentially change things both in terms of creating an inclusive environment for gay players to feel free to be themselves, and also to create an atmosphere in the stadium where homophobic remarks become as unacceptable as racist remarks. In principle, this is really no different to the Kick It Out campaign.

I can understand why players from certain backgrounds might be reluctant to be seen to individually support the campaign though. A good few of my friends are Moroccan, for example, and none of them are homophobic, but I'd be willing to bet that none of them would be willing to upload a picture of themselves carrying a rainbow flag on Facebook, for example, because of the backlash they might get from others who are. Obviously it would be great if someone as admired as Yaya Toure could come out in favour of this campaign, but if would take a certain amount of bravery to do so.

I certainly don’t think a decision was taken at management level. And I doubt that many players actively chose not to either. I think a lot of it was down to a lack of awareness. Players often live in a bubble. Maybe, as @BlueMooney said earlier, it should’ve been mandatory with players having to opt-out if they weren’t comfortable with it?

Yeah I think you might be right about it being down to a lack of awareness rather than anything malicious! I also agree with @BlueMooney about it being mandatory with an opt out etc. . .

I do believe that there needs to be a player or two to come out at some point.

It's not for us. As people have said it shouldn't matter if a player is gay, straight or attracted to the letter J. It's their personal lives.

But think of the boost it'd give to young gay footballers. Remember there was a time where there were almost no black players. One or two start emerging, and now we live in an age where outside the backwards thinking countries there are loads of black footballers. Obviously there were a lot of tough times in the middle period but aren't things better now? A big difference being you can't hide being black, obviously. But that's presumably why we are where we are.

edit: god damn I'm bad with words.

Odd that a relatively simple gesture, on such a well publicised campaign, was largely ignored.
Total Football has Stonewall on and the guy speculated there could be simple reasons such as superstitions (footballers are a bit mental with them), or them being the wrong size for a lot of boots. He wasn't overly concerned.

Not one City player wore the rainbow laces today.

good. i'm glad they are not getting involved with such nonsense to the football field.
why force everyone to get involve in the campaign related to sexual preference for specific group?

btw, i'm with @bluebc on the first page. =)

good. i'm glad they are not getting involved with such nonsense to the football field.
why force everyone to get involve in the campaign related to sexual preference for specific group?

btw, i'm with @bluebc on the first page. =)
Do you hold the same view with regards to the 'Kick It Out' campaign?

In other words, when the PL, FA, UEFA and FIFA ask players to hold up anti-racism banners and wear anti-racism t-shirts before a game (as they often do), would you prefer that players didn't oblige and didn't get involved?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.