Rainbow laces campaign

There is nothing you say that I would greatly disagree with. My opinion however remains that certainly as far as the match going fan base of most football clubs these days are pretty much past these kind of prejudice. I cannot for one minute imagine any supporters being remotely bothered if it turned out that one or more of our players were gay, infact the vast majority would not be interested at all.

If there is any problems within the clubs academies or a hostile to gay players being present within the teams at any level that is a problem for the footballing authorities.

My own view remains that the considerable amount of money spent on these things would be far better spent targeting areas and enviroments where there remains a serious issue with such unacceptable behaviours. I would further suggest that the decision to target the football going public rather than hard core areas of problems is more about those who run them than those whom they target. I am by and large of the view that people should be given a break from the constant barrage of politically correct propaganda that is a constant presence in almost every walk of life.

Now people might say you would have a different view if you had been on the end of prejudice or even worse, abuse. Well I have and I absolutely guarantee that I have had much more of it than 99% of gay, Muslim, or any other group of people. I have had it for all of my adult life. That abuse prejudice and bullying has had a devastating effect on my life, furthermore I equally guarantee that at least 80% of Bluemooners many of whom are happy to openly condemn bigotry and racism are and have been guilty of making completely unacceptable comments and expressing totally unacceptable opinions.

Suffice to say I have a condition that involves a considerable but largely invisable disability that have both physical and mental aspects. Yet sufferers of my and similar conditions are subject to abuse and prejudice on a huge scale but by and large society does little about it. I wont go into it all as I have no intention of hijacking this thread to bang on about my own issues with abuse, prejudice and bullying. I do point this out to quash any accusations of homophobia and the like. After all many on here and in the wider world are incredibly quick to get the answer five when presented with 2+2. The reason this happens is because they are desperate to be seen and heard championing a cause in the knowledge that they are first and foremost championing themselves.

Would I want to see City or football in general highlighting my condition? Not really and certainly not on matchday in the stadium. I am quite capable of putting people in the picture myself and prefer to fight my own battles but that is just me.

As for James MacClean not wearing a poppy well thats for another thread of course, but suffice to say I am in full agreement with those who strongly disapprove of his stance.
Very well said and I totally agree .

There is nothing you say that I would greatly disagree with. My opinion however remains that certainly as far as the match going fan base of most football clubs these days are pretty much past these kind of prejudice. I cannot for one minute imagine any supporters being remotely bothered if it turned out that one or more of our players were gay, infact the vast majority would not be interested at all.

If there is any problems within the clubs academies or a hostile to gay players being present within the teams at any level that is a problem for the footballing authorities.

My own view remains that the considerable amount of money spent on these things would be far better spent targeting areas and enviroments where there remains a serious issue with such unacceptable behaviours. I would further suggest that the decision to target the football going public rather than hard core areas of problems is more about those who run them than those whom they target. I am by and large of the view that people should be given a break from the constant barrage of politically correct propaganda that is a constant presence in almost every walk of life.

Now people might say you would have a different view if you had been on the end of prejudice or even worse, abuse. Well I have and I absolutely guarantee that I have had much more of it than 99% of gay, Muslim, or any other group of people. I have had it for all of my adult life. That abuse prejudice and bullying has had a devastating effect on my life, furthermore I equally guarantee that at least 80% of Bluemooners many of whom are happy to openly condemn bigotry and racism are and have been guilty of making completely unacceptable comments and expressing totally unacceptable opinions.

Suffice to say I have a condition that involves a considerable but largely invisable disability that have both physical and mental aspects. Yet sufferers of my and similar conditions are subject to abuse and prejudice on a huge scale but by and large society does little about it. I wont go into it all as I have no intention of hijacking this thread to bang on about my own issues with abuse, prejudice and bullying. I do point this out to quash any accusations of homophobia and the like. After all many on here and in the wider world are incredibly quick to get the answer five when presented with 2+2. The reason this happens is because they are desperate to be seen and heard championing a cause in the knowledge that they are first and foremost championing themselves.

Would I want to see City or football in general highlighting my condition? Not really and certainly not on matchday in the stadium. I am quite capable of putting people in the picture myself and prefer to fight my own battles but that is just me.

As for James MacClean not wearing a poppy well thats for another thread of course, but suffice to say I am in full agreement with those who strongly disapprove of his stance.

It's really hard to make any comparisons regarding your condition as I don't know what it is and nor are you obliged to discuss it on here. All i can say is historically, racism and homophobia have been pervasive in the game and we're about to enter into a world cup year where gay people and BAME people aren't really welcome to attend or be involved. Gay people and ethnic minorities are probably in a far better position to judge whether or not they're needed or effective.

There are campaigns alongside this to tackle the issue at academy level and having attended an event at crystal palace last year where people from kick it out were in attendance, it sounded as though there's still a lot of work to do.

A lot of the people that attend games are from area and environments where serious issues remain, but if you believe you're not seeing any of it at games any more, then maybe these campaigns are doing their job at matchday level.

You sound like you're trying to put your views across in a balanced way but you do kind of undermine your point when you use phrases like "a constant barrage of politically correct propaganda". Like I say, it's so easy to ignore but means a lot to the people it benefits. It's barely noticeable. Personally, I find the tendency to bring the troops out before cup finals needlessly jingoistic, and far more in your face than stuff like the rainbow laces campaign but you don't hear the same people complaining about that even though it has even less to do with football than these campaigns which are designed to bring inclusivity to the game.

It's really hard to make any comparisons regarding your condition as I don't know what it is and nor are you obliged to discuss it on here. All i can say is historically, racism and homophobia have been pervasive in the game and we're about to enter into a world cup year where gay people and BAME people aren't really welcome to attend or be involved. Gay people and ethnic minorities are probably in a far better position to judge whether or not they're needed or effective.

There are campaigns alongside this to tackle the issue at academy level and having attended an event at crystal palace last year where people from kick it out were in attendance, it sounded as though there's still a lot of work to do.

A lot of the people that attend games are from area and environments where serious issues remain, but if you believe you're not seeing any of it at games any more, then maybe these campaigns are doing their job at matchday level.

You sound like you're trying to put your views across in a balanced way but you do kind of undermine your point when you use phrases like "a constant barrage of politically correct propaganda". Like I say, it's so easy to ignore but means a lot to the people it benefits. It's barely noticeable. Personally, I find the tendency to bring the troops out before cup finals needlessly jingoistic, and far more in your face than stuff like the rainbow laces campaign but you don't hear the same people complaining about that even though it has even less to do with football than these campaigns which are designed to bring inclusivity to the game.
Well said and totally agree.

Regarding my own conditions no real secret and I have mentioned on other threads in passing I have M.E. and Fibromyalgia, the only reason I havent provoked any great discussion on how I am treated or viewed as a result is purely as I would end up calling someone a thick **** and get banned.,,,indeed you dont have to look to far to find a prime candidate. An amazing percentage of people are criminally thick when it comes to the consequences of those conditions. So no secret there Geoff and like I say have no wish to cause thread drift.

You rightly mention the world cup. Lets put it bluntly, on account of its racist elements and its homophobic ones which run to government level alone there is no way the tournament should be held there. Thats before you factor in the shooting down of the airliner with amongst many other innocents had Premier league season ticket holders on board travelling to watch their team. Of course Putin and co filled the envelopes and passed them to some arse groping old bastard and the deal was done.

That doesnt stop the national football associations taking the higher moral ground and refusing to go there does it? As for being an unwelcoming place I suspect that colour sexual persuasion or religious beliefs may do little other than increase the already high risk of getting a good kicking. Though I do suspect waving a rainbow flag around would guarantee one. I have been an away fan at Millwall, Leeds, Chelsea, West Ham in the 80s and 90s so not exactly adverse to taking a calculated risk of threat to life and limb, but think it a brave man or woman who goes to Russia for the World Cup, and anyone who is anything other than deathly white would be bloody foolish to go.

Like I say I am not dead set against these things, I myself would rather have a visit to a match free off it all for 90mins, and as I say I do question whether they would have a more positive effect elsewhere.

Maybe you are right to flag up my phrasing regarding propaganda but to me and many others it really does feel like that. Maybe a generation thing or maybe me just being a ****. These issues will always be the subject of much debate and thats no bad thing at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.