Rate The Season

I would rate this season a 7.

Resultwise finishing 2nd in the PL is a very good achievement, like scoring most goals (again). We played some great football at times, but not on a consistent bases. Unfortunately we had too many poor games, especially vs teams not high up the table. And our performances vs the old top 4, games that will lift our profile worldwide, were not impressive.
Our performances in the domestic cupcompetitions were very poor. I know we can't be playing at Wembley every year (although I pretty much got used to it), but going out the way we did in both the League and FA-cup is nothing less than shamefull.
In the Champions League we scraped through a difficult group only to draw Barcelona who by the time we played them, picked up form that brought them a title and a final in the CL, maybe even winning the Spanish Cup as well. Not a shame to be knocked out by them, all teams that played them after that had no chance whatsoever. Still, overall we didn't look good in all the matches we played in this competition except Roma away.

Only very few players can claim they had a decent season: Hart, Demichelis, Silva, Fernandinho, Milner and Aguero. Not enough to win the league or any silverware for that matter.
Pellegrini needs to take a good look at himself and his managementteam to try and realise that sometimes playing all out attacking football makes your team gaining lack of confidence. You can still play some lovely football from a more defensive lineup. Saying you only want to win in a style that you like is imo too naive. He needs to be more flexibal in that perspective. Also I think he should try and put in a youngster on a more regular bases. Maybe he's being too protective or too scared to lose his seat. None of the youth players seem able to be part of the 1st team as a regular, but sometimes a youngster can really surprise you when he's actually given a chance. Pozo got his chance under very difficult circumstances and it didn't do him any good. It doesn't mea he's the prime exemple. Either way, I'm happy to see him giving another shot. The players like him and that's a very important factor.

Finally I'd like to take in considderation a lot of things didn't go our way.
We had a lot of players who went far in the WC and needed time to get back on track. Aguero was gradually being brought foreward for fitnessreasons as well with no musscleinjuries as a result. Yaya had a difficult summer for familyreasons, his and his agent causing a few upsets within the club, a disappointing tournament, and when he did pick up he went of to Africa to win the Afrincan Cup with Ivory Coast only to come back low on form. Silva got an early injury, and we played about 5 or 6 weeks without any of our strikers. Biggest disappointment was Kompany. Low on form or injured. We practically did without him and his form all season. A big factor imo as he is seen as the leader in and off the pitch. It didn't help Mangala as well. Kompany is very important to us so he needs to get a good clear out and be back at his best next term.
We drew another group of death in the CL and got knocked out by what probably will be the eventual winners. The restriction of the squad might have had an impact. It did have an impact on the squad when someone had to be left out. Imo it was a completely wrong decision leaving Jovetic out and give Bony the benefit of the doubt. Bony, making his first steps midway through the season and coming back from an succesfull cupcompetition in Africa, and already making a huge step from Swansea to us, didn''t need the burnden of CL football at that particular moment. The squad who got to the knock out phase simply had to stay in tact and Bony would hardly have made a difference. It rather unsettled it.
FFP, the move from Carrington to the new (fantastic) Etihad Campus, it will have had it's influence.

We can do better and we will do better. Main thing is we need to get in pure quality now. 2 or 3 players like this will cost us loads of money, but for once I'd say let's just try and get these players in no matter what. If Real has a 100, 90, and 80 million player, if Barca has a 100 and 75 million player (and Messi), if the rags can suddenly fork out 60 million for a player etc., than maybe now it's our turn. And let's find out if Abramovitch will go this far as well.

On the face of it, finishing second looks like an 8, however, poor results against teams at either end of the table, lacklustre performances and woeful domestic cup displays bring it down to a 6.5.
If the previous double winning season was a 10, then it's difficult to put this one only 2 or 3 behind.

6 for me.

Despite a strong finish we must remember this as a trophyless season thanks to our own undoings. We have been very poor in the cups losing to Boro and Newcastle, both at home! Not good enough on those fronts. We have just not been good enough in any competition this year really. As for the Champions League, we were again woeful with some awful performances early on. We got lucky going through and then got completely humiliated by Barcelona which pretty much sums it up.

I'd give our season less but we finished strongly, cemented 2nd and in the end weren't too far from Chelsea but still it is so frustrating that we could of won this league had it not been for some really poor results at home. A title winning side doesn't really lose 2 and draw 3 at home, not losing at home has to be the focus next season, we were unstoppable at the fortress last year.

Anyway it's not all doom and gloom, at times we have played some fantastic football but then at other times it just hasn't been good enough. There is plenty for Pellegrini to ponder and work on over the summer and hopefully with a better squad we will compete much better next season.

hilts said:
bluealf said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
8/10?

Title challenge ended with like eight games to spare
Lost pathetically in both domestic cups
Scraped through the CL groups and again failed to make it to the quarters

4/10 for me

4 out of 10, what did you score our past -100 or -500 when we got relegated to the 2nd division.

The season has been a disappointment of sorts but 4/10 for coming 2nd is terrible indictment of what some of our fans are becoming.

past achievements or disasters have no bearing on rating this season, good job you don't own the club, a losers mentality is not the best way forward

And an arrogant expect to win everything attitude is a terrible rag complaint, I think I am in the better place.

Finally saw us win at Sunderland, and Stoke and Saints, so feel much more positive than most.

More away teams gave us a real fight this year (notably Villa and Burnley) which shows we dropped a bit but made for some great games.

Joe's save at Swansea alone makes this a memorable season.

Yet again though, lack of real ale at Etihad means I mark down to an 8.

6.5/10.

Despite not winning anything and being annoyingly inconsistent at times this season, we have finished 2nd scoring the most goals and not doing THAT badly in the CL considering the draw we had AGAIN (doesn't excuse the poor efforts in the group stage or our disappointing exits from the domestic cups).

Individual performances from golden boot and glove winners Kun and Hart have made us proud. Both played a massive part in us finishing where we are despite a fairly achieving season. Obviously the likes of Jimmy, Lampard, Silva, fernandinho, mangala, toure at times of course, have all played their part too, a lot of confidence too bring through too next season for the remaining ones in that respect but sadly Jimmy and Lampard won't be here next season but it gives us all summer too find their replacements and then some with a bit of luck. Hopefully bring some youth through as well next season too fill some positions in defence and central and right midfield in particular.

Other teams will be spending so we have too compete in this window, it's pretty much vital that we get the right replacements in to compete and out do other teams next season. Onwards and upwards!

Difficult to score it but I don't think it is as bad as some are thinking.

We had to contend with Platini, which the club did, quite professionally
We had a lot of players who went far in the WC so didn't get a proper rest between seasons
We suffered a lot of injuries
Came though to the KO stages of the CL
Had key players below par for a lot of the season

and still came 2nd.

bluealf said:
hilts said:
bluealf said:
4 out of 10, what did you score our past -100 or -500 when we got relegated to the 2nd division.

The season has been a disappointment of sorts but 4/10 for coming 2nd is terrible indictment of what some of our fans are becoming.

past achievements or disasters have no bearing on rating this season, good job you don't own the club, a losers mentality is not the best way forward

And an arrogant expect to win everything attitude is a terrible rag complaint, I think I am in the better place.
Its really not very difficult to understand. Our squad is the highest paid sports team in the world to compare the city now with the one that was relegated under Royle is fucking stupid.

And I don't think anyone expects us to win everything. But I'm sure the players, managers, the boardroom and most fans will be disappointed with the way this season has gone, we never even challenged chelsea in the league, went out of both domestic cups in embarrassing fashion and once again failed in the Europe..

My take on it, is that whilst it's been disappointing in some respects, I try to see the bigger picture, in any 10 year period we are going to have fallow seasons, we are also going to have seasons when we win cups and the League, it's to be expected look at our competition in the Prem, they go through the same cycle

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.