Rate this season

Some spoilt ungrateful sods on here.

There was a time we would have an open top bleeding bus having a season like this.

5/10
It's been 7 years since the highlight of the season rests on us beating utd on Thursday and it feels as though the 'typical City' tag has returned as we bemoan missed chances and bent refereeing.

3rd place is in our hands and I think it will show how much commitment there is in this squad to achieve it.

However, there is so much to look forward to as Guardiola shuffles the pack in the summer and rights the shortfalls of this season.

As my math teacher used to put on my reports: "Average, but has the potential to be much better if only he'd stop messing about in class."

Regression in the league cup.
Regression in the champions league.
Progression but ultimately fruitless in the FA cup.
A struggle to hold on to last years position in the league.

Given that last season was apparently a disgrace and we had a "fucking senile corpse" in charge and this season we have the "worlds best coach" who has cast a huge shadow over our previous two managers (who were both more successful than him AND much better able to set a side up for the game in England) I would score this season as a 1/10.

Any other manager in the world would be clearing out his desk in the summer but as it's Pep we'll probably have to prepare ourselves for another season of tippy tappy shite until we get to the box then pass back to a fullback football again.

And as bent as some decisions have been this season they've been no worse than previous years when better managers were able to overcome them and , you know, win things.

Poor.

Some spoilt ungrateful sods on here.

There was a time we would have an open top bleeding bus having a season like this.

Agree but we have moved on since those days and still find ourselves under performing, simply frustrating.
We have to win our remaining games now starting with a thumping win against the rags and look forward to next season.

Agree but we have moved on since those days and still find ourselves under performing, simply frustrating.
We have to win our remaining games now starting with a thumping win against the rags and look forward to next season.

There will be no thumping win against the rags and no massive clear out this summer. Little this season nor in seasons past points to anything like those happening. The world has changed -- we will be battling with 5-6 other clubs for top 4, and 1-2 of those will have no CL to worry about and start with an instant advantage for the foreseeable future.

I love what Pep is trying to do in an ideal world, but this isn't one, and like with Pellegrini and Mancini I continue to agree with those that say playing possession football is handing the advantage to the enemy. Time is ALWAYS on the side of the team parking the bus, and possession without penetration is the same as parking the bus, except we're doing it with the ball. Our side's premier players are built for a lightning counter and speed in possession, not languidity. It didn't work this season and won't work next, nor ever, not in the Prem. I so miss the days of the overlapping fullback runs (with fbs who could defend and cross I mean).

Granted I can't recall a season where more unlucky (or suspicious) decisions went against us, nor where we hit the post and the bar more often. But we have too many holes to fill in one offseason, and a manager I fear will impose his "way" with less regard for personnel or opponent than is required to win the league.

Last edited:
Transitional season that many, myself included, wrote off early on. I expect little when we have to rely on Gael fucking Clichy or the like to try to adapt to Pep's game. Was always going to take time for the best of players, but for some it's just pointless.

Worth a 7/10 if we make third, based on some good performances, some historic results, and having to make do with an unbelievably shallow squad coupled with bent officials.

There will be no thumping win against the rags and no massive clear out this summer.

We have 6 first team players out of contract this summer, so yes, there will be a massive clear out. Never mind those who will leave regardless

We regularly play 5 players who were with the club in 2011-2012. No other squad in the top six, or top eight even, comes close to this. They've all undergone major refreshes under the direction and guidance of new coaches. Pep deserves the opportunity to fully do the same and the club will be backing him to a hilt to do so. We should do so also.

Last edited:
Transitional season that many, myself included, wrote off early on. I expect little when we have to rely on Gael fucking Clichy or the like to try to adapt to Pep's game. Was always going to take time for the best of players, but for some it's just pointless.

Worth a 7/10 if we make third, based on some good performances, some historic results, and having to make do with an unbelievably shallow squad coupled with bent officials.

We have a lot of players out of contract this summer, so yes, there will be a massive clear out.

We regularly play 5 players who were with the club in 2011-2012. No other squad in the top six, or top eight even, even comes close to this. They've all undergone major refreshes under the direction and guidance of new coaches. Pep deserves the opportunity to fully do the same and the club will be backing him to a hilt to do so. We should do the same.

I don't care who leaves. I care who is coming. Do you really believe we will be able to fill all -- or even half -- of the holes we will have with players who are markedly better? In a hyper-competitive environment? Based on what? It isn't about whether the club or we back him -- it's about whether it's actually realistic to expect the players we need/want to come. Our experiences with ter Stegen and Laporte aren't anomalies -- they're normality. We will get two of who we really need/want and the rest will be plan B or C (god knows none of them will be from the Academy). That's not enough IMO.

Past is prologue I believe.

Like you I predicted we'd be fourth this year. I thought we'd be eighth at Xmas, then get better as the system took hold. But now I don't know if Pep's system works in the Prem. All is know is time wasting is usually better for the poorer team on the pitch.

Last edited:
8/10. Without dodgy calls from officials, we'd have cemented top 3 and been in FA cup final. Can't say fairer than that with a new manager who has came in and implemented a system alien to most of these players.

I don't care who leaves. I care who is coming. Do you really believe we will be able to fill all -- or even half -- of the holes we will have with players who are markedly better? In a hyper-competitive environment? Based on what? It isn't about whether the club or we back him -- it's about whether it's actually realistic to expect the players we need/want to come. Our experiences with ter Stegen and Laporte aren't anomalies -- they're normality. We will get two of who we really need/want and the rest will be plan B or C (god knows none of them will be from the Academy). That's not enough IMO.

Past is prologue I believe.

Like you I predicted we'd be fourth this year. I thought we'd be eighth at Xmas, then get better as the system took hold.

I agree to an extent, but that's ignoring the success stories too. Example: Gabriel Jesus was courted by Barca, Real and other big clubs (the rags for example), but signed for City. That's literally Brazil's number 9, and fuck knows we've missed him, picking City over Barcelona.

There's a pull to play under Guardiola, for sure, but money talks too. I believe last summer we had too much tied up in contracts to commit to bringing in the personnel we needed. Six will leave this summer and all of them get over £100,000 a week, some over £200,000. In the end, Pep was left sold short with desperately inadequate full backs and other question marks across the park and bench.

Do you believe the club will leave him in a similar situation this summer or will they go to the n'th degree to back him? I believe the latter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.