Real Madrid want Otamendi

This is understandable in relation to tackles. But notice that good positioning means higher interceptions, recovery, anticipation of where the ball will be ( so Ariel duels too) and general game orchestration. So players like Maldini who may not have tacked as much, recovered the ball more, inyercepted more etc.

This will be a valid claim against Otamendi if he was a rabid tacking machine and nothing else. He isn't though. He is more involved in team buildup, team passing, opportunity creation, recovery and redistribution, intrrception etc.

When all these stats point in the same direction, you have to give it some recognition of truth.

I do give it some recognition, some being the key word.

Moore
Beckenbauer
Desailly
Laurent Blanc

There are 4 for starters who read the game exceptionally well and would be an interesting contrast to Otamendi statistics.
Otamendi will probably dwarf a of them statistical coz he has less support.

I do give it some recognition, some being the key word.
I tend to think people who disagree with stats are of the opinion that its their watching vs the other guy who used stats. But in fact the other guy watched too. S o the opinions are a wash and stats concludes on favor of whoever the stat favors. Most of the time the stats are inconclusive either. Other times they lean heavily one way.

On the issue of whether Otamendi is a good defender, the stays very strongly suggests yes. Thankfully for me, it tallies with what I see on TV :)

I tend to think people who disagree with stats are of the opinion that its their watching vs the other guy who used stats. But in fact the other guy watched too. S o the opinions are a wash and stats concludes on favor of whoever the stat favors. Most of the time the stats are inconclusive either. Other times they lean heavily one way.

On the issue of whether Otamendi is a good defender, the stays very strongly suggests yes. Thankfully for me, it tallies with what I see on TV :)

Aye but I've yet to see a stat that measures brain farts.

Paul McGrath
Franco Baresi
Alan Hansen

You see it's a misconception to believe that the art of defending is to be a bulldozer!
Paul McGrath
Franco Baresi
Alan Hansen
You see it's a misconception to believe that the art of defending is to be a bulldozer!
No one believes that though. Baresi by the way was a dirty in your face slide tackle anything in sight defender. So I don't know why he is on your list.

But more importantly, its easy to be good when you have support. Positioning means shit when your RB and LB are not there.

In short, positioning is often the luxury of players on teams with a lot of defensive help.

Aye but I've yet to see a stat that measures brain farts.
True. Bit the problem is this, since none of us watch Toby every week, we can't tell how many brain Garth he has either. I mean I can remember a few good brain darts from Kompany and he is deemed by most to be the best. Same goes for Ramos at Madrid and Boateng at Bayern. And yet no one questions that they are good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.