Real Madrid want Otamendi

We need to be improving the defense, not weakening it!

Mangala is a player with good physical attributes and zero mental attributes. It will take a fair few years to teach him how to defend properly. It's no coincidence that his best games were when he was tasked with looking after a large centre-forward. He needs continuous instruction or to be assigned tasks that don't require reading the game. He could become a good defender, but I doubt that Pep has the time or patience to develop him properly.

Would it be weakening us though? I don't rate Otamendi in the slightest and have maintained Mangala is the better defender of the two since they both came in. I don't disagree with what you say about Mangala but those attributes he possesses are something you need in this league, and we're missing a defender with those qualities. Put him alongside Kompany and i think he'd work just fine, potentially Stones too if Stones pushes on this season to be the player we hope he'll be. Doesn't have to play every game, but having that option against certain opposition would be beneficial.

Peps had a year to scope the league out now, he's already adjusted his game slightly for this league, it's not beyond ridiculous to think he may have changed his mind on him and now thinks we need somebody like that for when the long ball merchants and teams with strong physical striker come up against us next season seeing as we often struggled against them last season.

We were destroyed by Everton, who went direct with Lukaku and caused us nightmares, Costa and Kane gave us problems in a similar mould, even the likes of Boro went direct and we struggled, same with Leicester away. Like i said, i'm aware it's unlikely, just some out of the box thinking to discuss and one that would tie in and solve some rumoured issues.

If we can get £30m for him then it's good for both clubs imo.

Real get a solid Pepe replacement and we get to spunk a shit ton on another suspect CB.
Whether you rate Otamendi or not, you can guarantee if we got 30 million for him, we'd spend at least 40 million on an inferior replacement :-)

If Madrid really want Otemendi then I presume they intend to partner him with Ramos. Is Varane getting enough games for them? Could he be our target?

No, because unlike half the people on this board, Madrid also understand there is no such thing as a first eleven anymore.

Pepe just left, so they have space in their squad.

Not that i wouldn't take Varane :-) great player.

Would it be weakening us though? I don't rate Otamendi in the slightest and have maintained Mangala is the better defender of the two since they both came in. I don't disagree with what you say about Mangala but those attributes he possesses are something you need in this league, and we're missing a defender with those qualities. Put him alongside Kompany and i think he'd work just fine, potentially Stones too if Stones pushes on this season to be the player we hope he'll be. Doesn't have to play every game, but having that option against certain opposition would be beneficial.

Peps had a year to scope the league out now, he's already adjusted his game slightly for this league, it's not beyond ridiculous to think he may have changed his mind on him and now thinks we need somebody like that for when the long ball merchants and teams with strong physical striker come up against us next season seeing as we often struggled against them last season.

We were destroyed by Everton, who went direct with Lukaku and caused us nightmares, Costa and Kane gave us problems in a similar mould, even the likes of Boro went direct and we struggled, same with Leicester away. Like i said, i'm aware it's unlikely, just some out of the box thinking to discuss and one that would tie in and solve some rumoured issues.

I don't see him sticking around to play the odd game against hoof-ball teams. I certainly agree that he could be useful in such games, but he'd be useless in the rest. A Stones Mangala pairing would genuinely give me nightmares. I don't even want to think about it.

I disagree. Kolarov was our best centre half last season. Otamendi made several poor mistakes that led to goals e.g. diving in several times and getting caught out. Having said that I do rate Otamendi and think if we can keep VK fit the any if the other three will form a good centre back pairing when we play four at the back. i would keep him for sure.
Wow, an argument about whether kolarov or otamendi was our best cb last season. Neither were particularly good and kompany showed in his handful of matches what we should be expecting from our centre backs if we are going to challenge for the big trophies.

I don't see him sticking around to play the odd game against hoof-ball teams. I certainly agree that he could be useful in such games, but he'd be useless in the rest. A Stones Mangala pairing would genuinely give me nightmares. I don't even want to think about it.

I suspect we'll have to play against that kind of football a lot more next season as teams would have seen how we struggled against such simple tactics last season so it will probably be more than the odd-game we'll have to deal with it sadly.

It wouldn't be ideal, but if it's a way of getting in all the players we want/need this window then perhaps Pep might feel he can work with that for a season. Might be a question of is the difference between Mangala-Otamendi worth the sacrifice if it stops us potentially missing out on bringing in Sanchez or the extra right back. Pure speculation of course, there may not even be this worry about not being able to afford everyone we want this window and therefore this is a pointless thought. i guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

Kolarov was our best centre half last season I've seen and heard it all now Christ on a bike.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.