Reflections on the "oil money" matter

Not quite right.

Dylan wrote: 'Money doesn't talk it swears'.

City certainly needed substantial investment to move from being a mid-table to relegation threatened club into top-four contenders. In the early years of the Champions' League, the income generated from Europe for the top-for team was in line with what was made from domestic competition. This produced a distorted Premier League dominated by the then 'Big Four' of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea. They took top four positions in the Premier League every season from 2002-3 through to 2008-09 apart from 2004-05 when Everton scraped into 4th place ahead of Liverpool. It had no financial impact as Liverpool won the CL that season and were allowed in while Everton failed at the Playoff Round and failed to make the Group Stages. This situation was all about being in the right place at the right time. They were dominant at the time when the UEFA money started to flow and capitalised on this to sustain their position.

The cartel was only broken when the monumental incompetence of the Liverpool ownership allowed Spurs to make the top-four in 2009-10. City replaced Spurs a year later. Since then the top-four has been more competitive and City are the only team who have finished there every season since then. UEFA income is less significant recently due to the new Premier League TV deals.

The investment in City has been well rewarded. I suspect that the increase in the book value of the shareholding, not to mention the cash raised from the sale of a minority stake to the Chinese, has more than offset the initial years of losses.

The difference between the ownership situation of City and United is that ADUG are looking for fair return on their investment while the Glazer family are bleeding United white to prop up their failing chain of shopping malls. United could easily outspend City by a huge margin. Indeed they have marginally outspent City but not that wisely. Now they have the gall to cry 'foul' having outspent City from the late fifties onwards.

Yes. My bad. Been a 15 years since I heard the initial quote. But maybe a better one would be "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Some of the comments in the press, social media and in other fans forums border or cross the line and it's not "just" banter ... It's racist.

You only have to view some of the disgusting comments on the match day thread on Spuds forum as a prime example.

No team aspiring to reach the summit does so without financial backing.

It's mainly down to jealousy and dislodging teams in the old top 4 that has stirred up the hornets nest. As others have said - all this will eventually move on as we become more successful.

I'd rather have a club owner that buys us, to help bankroll their debts and investments otherwise. No need to invest in youth or the future here.

It's all jealousy because we have brilliant owners. Owners these clubs would love to have. Why on earth would our owners care that them wanting to invest in their club would then make things more difficult for another club. God forbid!

What's becoming more difficult for them to accept is that if we offer a similar fee and wages to the likes of the scum that players are starting to chose to play for city. It's incredibly hard for them to accept that we are a better club. Bless

I never had s problem with Chelsea's spending. A challenger for United and we weren't that great anyway.

I didn't like Portsmouth's spending under Gaydamak. Not for any moral reasons, was just pure jealousy.

That's the only reason 99% of our critics don't like our spending.

Of course it was no coincidence, i became a fan when KDB joined, never was ashamed of it and never regretted it. I'm relativly new here compared to the veterans, all the same i have always felt welcome here, and i'm interrested in the history of it all too. Is there a point to this comment? City is likely going to get a load of new fans in the following years, and i hope so to.

Ill never be able to compete with the veteran fans, ive never been to the stadium yet lest alone on a cold rainy day against Stoke, i guess i'm a fan in a more modern international mold where more and more EPL teams are attracting fans and to some extend revenue from abroad, we don't invest just as much, but the numbers i presume make up for it.

I presume ill never root for another team though, KDB or not. I admit it must be different from fans who are manchester based, loyalty takes a deeper regional character than being mostly about the team you enjoy to watch and root for, or to which you came too following youre favourite player. Granted i never rooted for any other team than City. The world of football and the EPL is stuck with the added kind of fans like me, for better or for worse, media has made the nature of the fanbase changing, surely you can reflect on both the potentially positive and nevgative consequences of this reality? I can only be honest about it. Perhaps i'm a plastic fan (i do tend to wtch most matches, when i have the time) I presume there will be a day that plastic fans will be the norm rather than the exception ,that teams will earn significantly more from fans abroad than locally, it seems to be going that way. I don't think they will all be the same though, and i'd hope that when the day comes you rather recognise me as Flemishduck rather than plastic fan 102157.
Bring chocolate and jeneever and you can stay ;)

I do not get where an owner gets his money from is an issue either from oil, telecoms, banking, computors, property even a flower shop, what does it matter as long as he/she has it, unlike some who get loans against there clubs takings and put risk on there clubs,as others have said its just an easy stick to beat us with.

Has this article been mentioned yet -

I've got no idea as to the validity of it, but it doesn't paint our owners in the best light.

Has this article been mentioned yet -

I've got no idea as to the validity of it, but it doesn't paint our owners in the best light.

Who cares apart from the bitter pricks who want to put us down seeing as we’re flying at the minute. Arsenal are sponsored by emirates, Barca were sponsored by Qatar and Madrid have ties with Abu Dhabi. Haven’t United got a big sponsor from Qatar too?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.