Remembering Swales

Three_Hat-tricks

Good evening Blues,

Someone recently put up a link of the "Do I Not Not Like It" documentary about Graham Taylor's time as England Manager. I rewatched the whole programme this morning and almost smiled when the late Peter Swales made an appearance, as he was head of the FA's International Committee in those days (may have got his title wrong).

Anyway, when I saw my old man over Christmas we had a good argument about ol' Wiggy in the pub. My Dad has always described him as a gangster. Although I understand that - and agree to some extent - I always thought of him as a City fan that held a position of power but was so obsessed with getting one over United that it swayed his judgement, often with disastrous consequences. Due to this, I still believe that "fans" shouldn't really be involved in their club at board level - or, to clarify that, in a position where they hold considerable influence. Obviously, it's great for Blues to have a voice among the suits, but a controlling voice... I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Please keep it civil. :)

I remember the demonstration outside Maine Road after the Coventry game, where they had to lock the gates to the Maine Stand to stop us protesters getting in !
I also remember the Sunderland game last game of the season and the Kippax was fucking rammed, attendance was supposed to be 40,000 but must have been 50,000 there, I could imagine "Shredded Wheat Head" sat there at half time drawing the official attendance with a Bingo machine :)

The Ox said:
I remember the demonstration outside Maine Road after the Coventry game, where they had to lock the gates to the Maine Stand to stop us protesters getting in !
I also remember the Sunderland game last game of the season and the Kippax was fucking rammed, attendance was supposed to be 40,000 but must have been 50,000 there, I could imagine "Shredded Wheat Head" sat there at half time drawing the official attendance with a Bingo machine :)

Yes, I remember both those games to. I think Peter was sometimes a little creative in our attendance counts from time to time!

The Ox said:

the good old days of the kippax stand and the tax dodge on pay on the gate
match many times the stand was packed and the attendance 24.000
funny that the kippaz held 26.000 on its own

i worked on the gate aswell and yes they was many bent people working for themself with double up or pick him up and put your kid over

but then they had you sign in pencil what your turnstile end numbers was
and how much money you took

Three_Hat-tricks said:
The Ox said:

Yes, I remember both those games to. I think Peter was sometimes a little creative in our attendance counts from time to time!

Make that all the time !

Cheers chaps but I want to try and keep this on topic: which is fans running football clubs. You only have to look at the matchday threads or the main forum after we lose to see how kneejerk some fans can be.

also got high up on the board at the FA think maybe vice chairman at 1 time

In my book he loved City and all he wanted was our success.
Lets face it, if we would have been in his position would we have done things much different, I think not.
Not always successful, but sometimes when you love something and want something so bad it clouds your judgement.
Peter RIP

DavidM said:
In my book he loved City and all he wanted was our success.
Lets face it, if we would have been in his position would we have done things much different, I think not.
Not always successful, but sometimes when you love something and want something so bad it clouds your judgement.
Peter RIP

I agree - that's why he failed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.