Remembering Swales

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
ancoats said:
i will never forget a quote from swales in the manchester evening news

we will never sell paul stewart not even for £2million
and he was spot on we sold him for £1.5million

Yes, and sold just after the season ticket deadline had ended and we'd all renewed!

He pulled the same trick with Trevor Francis when he was sold to Sampdoria too.

Edit: Just seen previous post. Great minds think alike'!!

Saw his house once, it was painted blue and purple inside, every room had tons of City stuff in it, he was dodgy but still a true blue

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
ancoats said:
i will never forget a quote from swales in the manchester evening news

we will never sell paul stewart not even for £2million
and he was spot on we sold him for £1.5million

Yes, and sold just after the season ticket deadline had ended and we'd all renewed!

1.7 million and it got us promoted with the new players we got in.

Corky said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I presume you're talking about Paul Stewart rather than Trevor Francis especially as we were relegated the season after Francis was sold.

Assuming you were referring to Stewart, I'm trying to remember who we bought with that money: Wayne Biggins, Mark Seagraves. Nigel Gleghorn all spring to mind, but I'm not sure they were pivotal in our promotion - that said the ends justify the means so all's well that ends well, I guess.

Swales.... He always struck me as a horrible stale little man; cheap - he was always going on about "cutting your cloth accordingly" and never managed to shift that dodgy, backstreet trader image ever-so-slightly the 'spiv', always on the make, and never quite 'making it'. He was ego personified. Utterly vainglorious and raised well above his station by the FA which shows you just how utterly inept and out-of-touch they were (and are!). He ouozed 'cheap', was cheap and was thrown out in '94 deservadly and with few tears - they came later with Lee, etc who were another bunch of ego's to be honest. Yes, they made some effort to increase the income and put us on a 'sounder footing' and I was as pleased as most of us at the time that they took over the club. Sadly - and the facts speak for themselves - they made some awful management decisions, sacking Horton being chief among them, only bettered by the then hiring of Ball! They were a classic example of the old saying "be careful what you wish for". If credit is due for at least quitting when they knew they'd made an utter pigs ear of it, then so be it, take the credit. But the fact is, it was their 'watch' and the club was nearly destroyed and was certainly made a laughing stock, during their tenure. Those 'happy years 1992 - 1998.... Goodbye and good riddance to all of them!

Corky said:

I presume you're talking about Paul Stewart rather than Trevor Francis especially as we were relegated the season after Francis was sold.

Assuming you were referring to Stewart, I'm trying to remember who we bought with that money: Wayne Biggins, Mark Seagraves. Nigel Gleghorn all spring to mind, but I'm not sure they were pivotal in our promotion - that said the ends justify the means so all's well that ends well, I guess.

City bought 5 players with the Stewart money
Andy Dibble, Wayne Bobbins (sorry, Biggins), Nigel Gleghorn, John Deehan (who never played) and Mark Seagraves
But that's not the point. Swales never came out and said ''we are going to flog Paul Stewart and buy 5 players with the money who will get us promoted come May''.
He told us he wasn't going to sell him, waited for the season ticket deadline to pass and flogged him to Spuds!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.