Remembering Swales

Deehan was brought in as a coach mainly I thought.

We were much improved with the new players the following season.

You don't get the best price for a player by saying you are going to sell him.

I was not a Swales fan but it made sense to do what he did at that time.

Three_Hat-tricks said:
Cheers chaps but I want to try and keep this on topic: which is fans running football clubs. You only have to look at the matchday threads or the main forum after we lose to see how kneejerk some fans can be.

Wolves,Bolton and one other to drop for me...............

Let the good times roll.

If we didnt have such bad times under Swales and Lee , we would`nt really be able to appreciate what we really have going on at City at the moment. It never goes amiss with other club fans neither , when I`ve chatted with other club fans they arent bitter about whats happening with our club, there was a lot of "good luck you deserve it " last season . Just hope younger fans look back and take on board what happened to our club under Swales and Lee`s tenureship and learn to be as humble and humourous as the fans that have gone before .

As for Swales , well he was from a corrupt time of cronyism. He wasnt that bad a businessman cos he had me over for a season ticket along with a lot of other people . He was able to read us City fans and used our passion for his gain , small man syndrome we used to call it as kids.

Couldn't resist buying this autograph....

s-l1600.jpg

Soon to be framed and displayed with pride (shurely shome mishtake: Ed) in the bog :-)

When the rags were relegated in '74 he was in the supporter's club talking to my grandparents when up came a reporter asking him his feelings on them being relegated. He said that it was a bad thing for Manchester and he hoped they'd come straight back up the next season.

Once the reporter moved on, Swales turned to my grandfather and said 'I hope they go down to the non leagues'.

He'll do for me! He was a blue and he loved it. Just a shame he was crap at running the club.

Peter Swales, where do you start? Took us from greatness/near greatness to desperate in a few years!
My long lasting memories of us while he was in charge was, us going in for some quality players, which were well reported at the time and our inability to close the deals down due to personal terms, those players then going elsewhere and making a difference while we faltered again and again.
If he hadn't been so tight in these MOMENTS, we could of been closer to our close rivals, I will never forgive him for that!!! He then was over generous as if trying to make a point when he should of kept his money in his pocket.
I was always told he was a wideboy and posts on this thread by people with more knowledge than me seem to back this up.
Never liked his combover either!
Remember his passing, god forgive me but I didn't shed a tear.
CTID
You're right about the none closing of players. I went to Tenerife for Xmas 98 and I was having a good chat with Nathan Blake ( yes, that bloody Nathan Blake) and he said a few years earlier he was almost set to sign for us but it fell at the last hurdle.. why ?? Because Swales wouldn't give him a penny more than 800 quid a week. YES 800 QUID! He was devoed his 'dream move' didn't come off but said the offer was a piss take and he was earning more at Cardiff when they beat us in 94. Another Swales master stroke..but tbh, I don't think we missed much, we may not of signed Creaney so it all worked out well.

Last edited:
When the rags were relegated in '74 he was in the supporter's club talking to my grandparents when up came a reporter asking him his feelings on them being relegated. He said that it was a bad thing for Manchester and he hoped they'd come straight back up the next season.

Once the reporter moved on, Swales turned to my grandfather and said 'I hope they go down to the non leagues'.

He'll do for me! He was a blue and he loved it. Just a shame he was crap at running the club.
I'm a blue but I can assure you that you wouldn't want me running the club!

Swales also loved the limelight he got as chairman, loved his place on the influential FA committees and it's not as if he was spending his own money on the likes of Daley either. Even just from a financial point of view he ran the club to the verge of bankruptcy because of his poor administration - that's without considering his daft footballing decisions, often blinded by his obsession with overtaking the rags.

Peter was a trend setter, many years later and Donald Trump has adopted his hair style. Two of a kind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.