Removing large screws that have seized in brick work

Move house, it'll be easier.

I had three big wall bolts (M8) from an old telly wall bracket, all three sheared trying to get them out.

I finished up using a grinder with a steel cutting disc, and cutting them to below the plaster level, then re-plastering and making good over big holes i'd created... Missus went mad over the amount of plaster dust created. Twat of a job for what was gained.

Move house, it'll be easier.

I had three big wall bolts (M8) from an old telly wall bracket, all three sheared trying to get them out.

I finished up using a grinder with a steel cutting disc, and cutting them to below the plaster level, then re-plastering and making good over big holes i'd created... Missus went mad over the amount of plaster dust created. Twat of a job for what was gained.

Literally had to hacksaw 4 of the 6 bolt heads... I think mine are the same size (M8), and the 2 central bolts are too close to the bracket to hacksaw off so I'm going to try and drill the bastards off!!

I can see a shit load of plaster coming off the wall, and quite possibly some brick as well.

It's almost like the bracket has embedded itself into the wall!

Your not posting from strangeways by any chance 'large screws in brickwork' just put a file in a birthday cake

Dynamite is made for bastard jobs like this one. The down side is knowing the correct amount to use,
else you end up with screws out but no house.

Use some screw extractors... you can get them from screwfix or most hardware stores. You get 5 sizes in a pack. Basically drill a small hole, put screw extractor into drill on reverse (they are left hand thread). As the drill goes into the screw/bolt it forces it out..

No, no an no again, these things are carbon steel that snap at the drop of a hat and are impossible to drill out, get a set of Irwin "screw" extractors (They also do bolt extractors, I work on old cars and never had one that these didn`t bring out) from amazon.

If you are near to the airport you can borrow mine ;0)

No, no an no again, these things are carbon steel that snap at the drop of a hat and are impossible to drill out, get a set of Irwin "screw" extractors (They also do bolt extractors, I work on old cars and never had one that these didn`t bring out) from amazon.

I use them all the time. I'm a stairlift Engineer and come across all sorts of chewed bolts and screws. Mainly from people who think "I'll have a go and save a few quid".. I've never snapped one. Hope you haven't cursed me here. ; )

iu

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.