Retrospective 3 game ban for Rooney? [Gets off scot free]

dom said:
redmizzle said:
Fergie should save some of his ‘wise’ words for Wayne

Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, reacted as objectively as ever to the controversy around Wayne Rooney’s elbow on James McCarthy of Wigan Athletic at the weekend.

‘The press will raise a campaign to get him hung by Tuesday, or electrocuted,’ he said.

No, they won’t. The press do not as a rule want players to be executed for disciplinary offences, but they are quite keen on the Football Association coming down hard on the use of the elbow, as it has the potential to cause extreme injury, such as brain damage.

In the instance of Rooney, however, referee Mark Clattenburg saw the incident and gave a foul against United, but no more. Looking at the replays, he was probably right. Rooney was dashing across the field to help provide defensive cover against a Wigan attack and, seeing that, McCarthy stopped and changed direction, taking a step back to block his path. In doing so, he also raised his shoulder to provide more of a physical impediment and Rooney responded by giving him a clump as he went past.

He used an elbow, which should have merited a booking, but did not seem to bring it back at McCarthy, more use it as payment in kind as he passed. It was not the sort of elbow incident that rearranged Gary Mabbutt’s face or left Iain Hume fighting for life.

These are nuances, however, and very much open to individual interpretation. The bottom line is Rooney committed an offence worthy of a yellow card, but got away with it because Clattenburg judged McCarthy to be partly responsible.

Nobody needs to be hung, electrocuted or even charged but, with the season coming to the boil, a quiet word with his striker rather than the standard outbreak of baseless suspicion and false accusation would seem Ferguson’s best course of action.

Wasn't Martin Samuel supposed to be one of the more decent journalists? Yeah right.

Baseless suspicion ????? HA HAHAHAHA
I don't usually use the argument 'ad hominem' but that pathetic grovelling apology looks so sad that
your post says more about you than the incident.... grow up.

Sorry pal what the fuck are you on about?

Whelans response(some may say surprising...)

WAYNE ROONEY escaped punishment for elbowing a player in the face because the FA are scared of Manchester United.
That was Wigan owner Dave Whelan's furious reaction yesterday after The Sun told him Rooney will NOT be banned - despite TV footage that clearly showed him assaulting midfielder James McCarthy.

Whelan fumed: "It sends out a terrible message."

Disgraced Chelsea defender Ashley Cole also got an all-clear, with Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti dubbing him a 'great professional' - even though he shot a work experience kid with an air rifle.

But it was the FA's spineless treatment of last Saturday's Rooney incident that enraged Whelan.

He blasted: "Something is wrong when a top international like Rooney is seen doing something like this, as clear as day, and is allowed to get away without being punished.

"If it was any other club or player, you can bet your life he would have been sent off. But officials seem intimidated by the words 'Rooney' and 'United'.

"Manchester United are allowed to get away with things the rest of us get pulled up for. And you can't have one set of rules for one club and another for the rest.

"I don't care what the FA say about the matter being dealt with at the time by us getting a free-kick. They, and everyone else in football, know justice isn't being served here.

"The FA will be delighted they can hide behind their rules and let Rooney off, as they are frightened of taking sanctions against him and his club."

The FA claim they cannot act because referee Mark Clattenburg felt he took the 'appropriate action' by awarding a free-kick.

Yet he did not even book Rooney for his assault. Now the England striker can play at Chelsea tonight instead of serving a three-match ban.

Whelan, holidaying in the Caribbean, watched the DW Stadium action live on TV.

He added: "This is another case of people backing away from reacting to a blatant Rooney elbow.

"In my view, Mark Clattenburg is one of our better referees and maybe he did not see how bad it was.

"But can you honestly tell me the other three officials couldn't see that it was a stonewall sending off?

"If it had been the other way round, and James had whacked Rooney, there's no doubt in my mind he would have been shown a red card.

Rooney is also very lucky because of the way our lad reacted.

"If he had gone down, as most do these days for far less, that might have forced the ref to take the proper action."

Clattenburg looks set to join Rooney in escaping any backlash.

He was expected to be given a weekend off or demoted down the leagues but, in fact, has been pencilled in to take charge of Fulham v Birmingham on Saturday afternoon.

Referees chief Mike Riley insisted: "Mark took the correct course of action with this incident

Does Mike Riley actually believe that? If so he has made himself a coont of the highest order and should receive the same treatment as Cuntenburg will tomorrow. I hope Villa fans join in

FA = Fergie's Arselickers

English football is corrupt

Banner needed for cameras at wigan game

Im surprised Dave Whelan has come out and said that, usually got his tongue so far up Fergies arse he doesn't say many bad things about Utd.

I know its easy just to criticise Clattenburg but what were linesmen looking at? The fourth official? Completely buckled.

I hope the Villa fans join in tomorrow when we have our chants going.

PSmyth07 said:
I know its easy just to criticise Clattenburg but what were linesmen looking at? The fourth official? Completely buckled.
I don't think you can criticise any of them for not seeing it clearly in real time as it was off the ball. The reason Cluttertwunt is getting pilloried is because after having seen it on TV he's basically said, "Eh? What's all the fuss about? I saw it exactly as it happened and dealt with it accordingly; that's why Wigan got a free kick."

All he had to say was that he saw Rooney barge into McCarthy which is why he gave the free-kick but he had no idea that what had actually occurred was so extreme and violent. That would be an honest appraisal of what actually happened, which begs the question - why isn't he being honest?

Dubai Blue said:
PSmyth07 said:
I don't think you can criticise any of them for not seeing it clearly in real time as it was off the ball. The reason Cluttertwunt is getting pilloried is because after having seen it on TV he's basically said, "Eh? What's all the fuss about? I saw it exactly as it happened and dealt with it accordingly; that's why Wigan got a free kick."

All he had to say was that he saw Rooney barge into McCarthy which is why he gave the free-kick but he had no idea that what had actually occurred was so extreme and violent. That would be an honest appraisal of what actually happened, which begs the question - why isn't he being honest?

Yeah but the ball was right infront of them, the 4th official would of had his view obscured by the incident unless he was talking to one of the managers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.