Ridiculous things from City's history

Not sure if it actually happened but during Joe Corrigans formative years with City I seem to remember he received match live tuition from behind his goal via the late great Bert.
I seem to remember a testimonial (?Johnny Hart's) at Maine Road when City played a Stoke side with Gordon Banks in their goal and Joe in City's. At half time there was a 5 a side game where Bert was in goal. His reception was unbelievable.

As the players came out for the second half, there was an announcement over the tannoy that Bert would be in goal for the second half, but we were told "not to expect miracles from a 51 year old!" For the entire second half, Joe sat behind the City goal watching the great master at work. It was an experience to see two of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, from different eras, on the pitch at the same time.

I seem to remember a testimonial (?Johnny Hart's) at Maine Road when City played a Stoke side with Gordon Banks in their goal and Joe in City's. At half time there was a 5 a side game where Bert was in goal. His reception was unbelievable.

As the players came out for the second half, there was an announcement over the tannoy that Bert would be in goal for the second half, but we were told "not to expect miracles from a 51 year old!" For the entire second half, Joe sat behind the City goal watching the great master at work. It was an experience to see two of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, from different eras, on the pitch at the same time.

He made a couple of full length saves in that game as well.

Only time I saw him play and as a kid I could sense the atmosphere in the ground and the uplift he provided.

It wasn't there in 2003, Mr Timpson of Timpsons (key cutters etc) paid for it over 2 years after we moved in as he was a fan in the stadium.

Whether it was re-conditioned or brand new isn't really an issue. The fact we got a piss poor score board when other smaller clubs had Jumbotrons in the century before is the embarrassment if anyone really cared.
Timpson paid for the second, smaller one because he couldn't see the first one from his seat and wanted to make sure all in the stadium could see at least one board.

In 1979 Malcolm Allison offered Nobby Stiles at Preston £250,000 for Michael Robinson. Stiles was astonished because he didn't think Robinson was worth that much. Big Mal misread the astonishment as being because Stiles thought he had bid too low so he upped the offer to £750,000. Stiles managed to bite his tongue and the deal was done!

In 1979 Malcolm Allison offered Nobby Stiles at Preston £250,000 for Michael Robinson. Stiles was astonished because he didn't think Robinson was worth that much. Big Mal misread the astonishment as being because Stiles thought he had bid too low so he upped the offer to £750,000. Stiles managed to bite his tongue and the deal was done!
I remember that but didn't believe a word stiles said, he would have said anything to belittle city because of the twatings his side got of marks sides in the Joe mercer era

Surely that's just a pro-Swales version of the Steve Daley affair.

Surely that's just a pro-Swales version of the Steve Daley affair.
I remember it at the time as I was brought up in Preston. No-one could quite believe that PNE managed to get 3/4 of a million for Robinson who everyone assumed was worth about 200k. The story was in the Lancashire Evening Post and was well known in Preston. Whether the story was embellished by Nobby Stiles, I haven't a clue. Either way £750k for Michael Robinson was ridiculous.

I remember it at the time as I was brought up in Preston. No-one could quite believe that PNE managed to get 3/4 of a million for Robinson who everyone assumed was worth about 200k. The story was in the Lancashire Evening Post and was well known in Preston. Whether the story was embellished by Nobby Stiles, I haven't a clue. Either way £750k for Michael Robinson was ridiculous.
There's no doubt we overpaid for him and many others in that era.

Similar to the rags now we were chucking money around with a game plan known only to Malcolm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.