RIP Graham Taylor

Very sad news.

Graham Taylor was a very good club manager, even if he didn't replicate that success at international level. He brought Watford to national prominence and also did a great job at Villa.

Whenever he was on Radio 5Live, he came across as a very knowledgeable and genuinely nice bloke.

R. I. P. Graham.

Just been in the car and 5Live were talking about him, and fair play they came out with the brilliant 'he was a real football man'!

Turned over to Talkshite..........they're talking about drugs in football - Whodafunkit!

My original point was about Taylor's entire tenure, thus me mentioning 92, and the game in 90 when he picked Cowens over Gazza (who was fully fit no injury at all and it was before he did his knee) i went on to mention 94, but you are the one who keeps trying to limit it to 94 only, also if Pearce was our best performer in 92 how was he over the hill in the qualifying for 94 that started just a couple of months afterwards? The finals of Euro 92 are very relevant to the WC qualifiers for 94.

Ian Wright came into his peak when he signed for Arsenal in 91 when he was 28, a bit late for a forward but 28 is a sound place to say someone is peaking when they were a late starter, he made his England debut not long after, he was never a regular for England, the fact he couldnt get in the side only backs up the fact the resources Taylor had were better than the last 2 or 3 managers have had for England. I'd rather have Wright 90-94 than Kane, Sturridge or the current Rooney for example. I didnt say those 4 CBs were world or international class however, those 4 centre backs are better than the current England CBs which again backs up the point I was making, they didnt get a sniff under Taylor or any manager but they would if playing now, thus we had far better resources then than we do now in comparison, or and I will ask you again, do you think Cahill and Jagielka are far better than them?? IMO Cahill and Jagielka arent fit to lace Adams' and Walker's boots in terms of quality and they were the ones who kept the 4 I mentioned out of the side (along with Pallister, Mark Wright), in short if Cahill can get 50 caps any of those I listed could.

He wouldnt pick Waddle but picked Andy Sinton, which made no sense then or now. He wouldnt pick Beardsley either. As has been said we got to a semi final in 90 under Robson and 96 under Venables, there wasnt a dearth in players in between, far from it.

I dont want to slag him off too much as I started this thread out of respect for a good football man.

If you're talking about his entire tenure, then we did actually qualify for Euro '92 and then failed to get out of the group after losing to the hosts Sweden and drawing with France and eventual winners Denmark. In the previous Euros in '88, we lost all three games under Bobby Robson, who had a far better team at his disposal than Taylor had in '92.

It's irrelevant whether the players you mentioned are better than those we currently have. What you should be asking yourself is whether the likes of Steve Bruce could have kept Bergkamp quiet in those qualifiers against Holland in '93 and '94. You keep talking about Mark Wright but he didn't play any real part in the qualifiers for '94.

You seem to think that certain players were left out because of the depth of resources but some of them just weren't up to it. Being decent at club level doesn't necessarily mean that they were up to it at international level.

Like Graham Taylor.

Cheap shot. The list of England managerial failures is far longer than Graham Taylor.

Even Bobby Robson who is considered one of our better managers but he failed to qualify for Euro '84 having lost to Denmark at Wembley. We lost to Portugal (who were shit back then) and drew with Morocco in the first two games of Mexico '86 and then lost all three games at Euro '88. How many managers would have still been in charge for the next tournament these days with that record?

Liked Graham, great as a club boss, totally out of his depth as national manager in fact thrust to the media to hide the FA being crap.

RIP footie man

Cheap shot. The list of England managerial failures is far longer than Graham Taylor.

Even Bobby Robson who is considered one of our better managers but he failed to qualify for Euro '84 having lost to Denmark at Wembley. We lost to Portugal (who were shit back then) and drew with Morocco in the first two games of Mexico '86 and then lost all three games at Euro '88. How many managers would have still been in charge for the next tournament these days with that record?

You keep making strawman arguments and trying to shift from the points made. The players I listed that you originally quoted and then said most had peaked in 90 was totally untrue, most of them hadnt peaked at all. You have failed to respond to questions asked of you and continually tried to shift the discussion. The fact is we got to the semis in 90 and 96 and failed twice in between, wasnt all Taylor's fault but he wasnt up to the job, he'd never won a trophy or played/managed in tournament football, he struggled. No great shame it that, he was a good manager out of his depth and from nearly all accounts a nice bloke.

No point discussing this with you further.

Sad news, 72 isn't that old. Its a shame that a lot of his good work has been forgotten because of the England 94 campaign.

Taylor was no worse than the likes of Mclaren. The media were itching for him to fail and I've never seen so much vindictiveness from the press over an England manager. They would have rather him fail than win a world cup

That game against Netherlands was shocking refereeing which ultimately cost him his job. We were never as bad as the media made out but you could tell by the body language every coach and player were nervous before every game because of the Mirror and Sun being dicks. Ever since about 2000 no player really gives a shit what the papers prints about their international form

You keep making strawman arguments and trying to shift from the points made. The players I listed that you originally quoted and then said most had peaked in 90 was totally untrue, most of them hadnt peaked at all. You have failed to respond to questions asked of you and continually tried to shift the discussion. The fact is we got to the semis in 90 and 96 and failed twice in between, wasnt all Taylor's fault but he wasnt up to the job, he'd never won a trophy or played/managed in tournament football, he struggled. No great shame it that, he was a good manager out of his depth and from nearly all accounts a nice bloke.No point discussing this with you further.

How many players played in both '90 and '96? Two or three?

You obviously weren't paying attention then when i said that Shearer and Seaman were relative international novices in '94. Gazza was injured during the qualifiers, as was Wright. Pearce was past his best. Ferdinand, etc, weren't really international class...

The questions you asked are idiotic. Do i think that Steve Bruce was better than Gary Cahill? What has that got to do with the resources that Graham Taylor had at his disposal in the '94 qualifying campaign?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.