RIP Graham Taylor

It's what I call sad. I liked him, he had a lovely smile and was a straightforward man.

Worth remember, whilst slamming his England record, both Alf Ramsey and Ron Greenwood also failed in World Cup qualification.

As for the turnip thing, I fucking hate Murdoch, I really do.

somebody on twitter psoted an extract from a book telling a little story about taylor which brought a tear to my in all honesty.

it was regarding a footballer who was expecting his first child with his partner and he didnt have a lot of money so taylor called him into his office. he thought he was going to get sacked.
taylor said "i understand who having your first child, i know money is tight, so do you need anything for your child". the footballer replied that he did need pushchair, cot etc etc...
"how much will that cost?" said taylor. "around £300 or £400" the footballer replied.
with that taylor pulled out his personal cheque book and gave the lad £1000.

Taylor said " take that and dont mention it to anybody, you go home and take care of your family, but when you come here you concentrate on football".

i thought that was a lovely story.

I agree. There is a bit of a myth that surrounds Robson . He was useless on the whole !
It is a point that's forgotten in the collective amnesia of the press. Even at Italia '90 England were poor until the senior players lobbied Robson to change the system. Being dispassionate the only really decent performance was against Germany where, of course, we didn't win.

The press attitude that led to the 'Turnip head' started with the abuse Robson received after Euro '88. Presumably all these journalists shedding a tear for Taylor and Robson and going on about what wonderful football men they were played no part in attempting to wreck their careers and reputations.

The tragedy of his England career was that what made him a success in England meant he was fundamentally unsuited to international football. Even today the English football establishment doesn't fully get how far we are behind the rest of the world (Ince or Pearce for the U21s!!?) but back then they genuinely believed getting the ball into the big man and playing from there would win the World Cup.

In Taylor's defence the injury problems at Euro '92 didn't help, Shearer and Gazza were injured for much of the '94 qualifying campaign and England were properly fucked over by the ref in Holland. But his selections and tactics for many other games (Norway away) showed that he didn't get what was required at that level. We did have a lot of good players back then and even youngsters like Mcmanaman, Barmby and Anderton would have been better than the shite he picked. The strange thing was that he was a good pundit and his Villa side were a decent watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.