RIP Kevin Finnegan

City_Shirts

A fantastic fighter,who never knew when he was beaten. Very sad news this - My old fella was a big fan of the Finnegan's.

RIP Kevin.

Kevin Finnegan, the former British and European middleweight champion, has been found dead at his home in West London at the age of 60.

Finnegan, the younger brother of the 1968 Olympic gold medal-winner Chris, held the British title three times and the European title twice.

He boxed Alan Minter three times and Marvin Hagler twice but never got a shot at a World title.

He first won the British title in 1974 when he beat Bunny Sterling.

His career best win was over Tony Sibson at the Albert Hall in 1979.

He retired in 1980, at the age of 32, after losing his European title to Matteo Salvemini in Italy.

His body was discovered when police broke into his flat in Hillingdon, Middlesex, after he has not been seen for a few days.

Brother Chris paid tribute to his younger brother "Kevin was the cream of boxing, he had far more class than me, in all his boxing career he was never knocked out, this time he just couldn't beat the count."

Top trainer Howard Rainey said "He was the most gifted fighter I can recall. His win over Tony Sibson was an education."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.