Rob Gretton

stevemcgarry

I know a lot of City fans remember Rob Gretton. Today would've been his 65th birthday so I thought I'd share this pic of two fresh-faced young mods, taken in a photo booth in early 1969, long before Joy Division and New Order and the Hac. We'd hitched to Coventry to see City and met some girls. Rob started writing to one of them and so we had these pics taken so he could send her a photo. Note the City scarf that Rob is sporting. He'd have absolutely loved what's happened to City these last few years. Cheers!

DTkTKotU8AAF8_N.jpg:large

Great Pic. Coventry away in 1969...Bet
My old man was at that. He would have loved this too but sadly died a year before the takeover. Life flashes by even when you are fortunate enough to make it to the latter years.

Proper old school blue, he sadly died young just before we turned the corner. Left a legacy though.

I pass his grave in Southern Cemetery regularly,

Martin Hannet is also in there
As is A H Wilson.
Saw him in one of the pubs on Victory St (think it was the Gardeners) just a few games before the end of the 1998 / 99 season. Just having a pint with friends after a game. Think it was second last game v Wycombe in which we lost. Then he passed away weeks later before the play off final.

Rob died 22 May 2009 the morning of the play-off semi-final at Wigan. I was walking up to the ground when someone told me. The previous week I had been in the pub with Rob and a few others.
What a photo from 1969 though and a great story. Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.