Roberto Mancini - next Italy manager

What was the ultimatum?
To work with a DoF. He'd basically refused to acknowledge Begiristain and Marwood before him. He was told that this was the model the owners wanted to follow and if was their way of the highway.

By telling Sheikh Mansour that he had no intention of working with the DoF, along with all the other complaints about him, he signed his own P45. He knew what the outcome would be by doing what he did. Had he agreed to work with Begiristain and done so willingly then the board would probably have backed him against players who weren't happy.

His iron will, arrogance and self-confidence got us those first two trophies but those characteristics were also ultimately his downfall.

To work with a DoF. He'd basically refused to acknowledge Begiristain and Marwood before him. He was told that this was the model the owners wanted to follow and if was their way of the highway.

By telling Sheikh Mansour that he had no intention of working with the DoF, along with all the other complaints about him, he signed his own P45. He knew what the outcome would be by doing what he did. Had he agreed to work with Begiristain and done so willingly then the board would probably have backed him against players who weren't happy.

His iron will, arrogance and self-confidence got us those first two trophies but those characteristics were also ultimately his downfall.

The current dynamic is set around a Dof but I can't help feel Pep oversees pretty much everything.

He strikes me as such a controlling character but also an individual with excellent people skills. He's a remarkable human being.

you know what another couple of seasons under mancini would have ending up being hated by the fans the way the board and mancini hated each other and was there only only going to be one winner so mancini got out at the right time for me you knew some of the signings was not mancini choice and his targets was not being signed

mancini leaves with a tag of a legend the first manager to win silverware and the league took on fergie and beat him up in his own back yard and what a season that was what mancini had to do at manchester city was the hardest job in football and turn the club into winners and also had to build a squad from a mixed bunch of players and some were here only for the money and not the club we needed mancini strong arm of the law to build a team city was top heavy with so called superstars signed to put manchester city back on the map in the media and not on the field

to me and many others mancini is still the boss top man and is given the respect and hope that one day if he ever turns up at the etihad will be given the freedom of the city a guard of honor and a hall of fame award

I had absolutely had enough of him when he went.

I'm glad I can remember him fondly, as the man who turned around the club, & loved the club, rather than the unpleasent turmoil which would surely have followed.

No manager, not even Pep, will have the power he craved. And so it should be.

you know what another couple of seasons under mancini would have ending up being hated by the fans the way the board and mancini hated each other and was there only only going to be one winner so mancini got out at the right time for me you knew some of the signings was not mancini choice and his targets was not being signed

mancini leaves with a tag of a legend the first manager to win silverware and the league took on fergie and beat him up in his own back yard and what a season that was what mancini had to do at manchester city was the hardest job in football and turn the club into winners and also had to build a squad from a mixed bunch of players and some were here only for the money and not the club we needed mancini strong arm of the law to build a team city was top heavy with so called superstars signed to put manchester city back on the map in the media and not on the field

to me and many others mancini is still the boss top man and is given the respect and hope that one day if he ever turns up at the etihad will be given the freedom of the city a guard of honor and a hall of fame award

Yep. He'll get the biggest standing ovation ever when he decides to rock up for a game. How i fuckin loved him giving it to the pisscan.

Anyway, as has been said we have moved on now to hopefully even more greatness under Pep.

I thought that Mancini left at the right time. However, given that he's the manager who ripped down that banner at Old Trafford and made us winners after so long, I'll always have a lot of affection for him. I'm enjoying following his fortunes with Zenit and hope he does well there.

Incidentally, I don't think Mancini refused point blank to work with a DoF. He just wanted the DoF to be someone he approved of. This is the guy he tried to have appointed to the role: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_Oriali - though I think there were one or two other Italians he'd have accepted, too. But he didn't get on with Marwood at all and saw his arse when, instead of one of his own preferred candidates, Txiki was brought in. As a result, that relationship was doomed from day one.

Im still pissed about the maner of his dismissal. To let it be known he was toast in Spain before the event which resulted in Barca leaking it to the press the week before the cup final cost us the FA cup. A trophy we haven't won since.

Im still pissed about the maner of his dismissal. To let it be known he was toast in Spain before the event which resulted in Barca leaking it to the press the week before the cup final cost us the FA cup. A trophy we haven't won since.
Yeah but if Dave hadn’t have rocked up with his broken leg I swear we’d have won that game ;)

I thought that Mancini left at the right time. However, given that he's the manager who ripped down that banner at Old Trafford and made us winners after so long, I'll always have a lot of affection for him. I'm enjoying following his fortunes with Zenit and hope he does well there.

Incidentally, I don't think Mancini refused point blank to work with a DoF. He just wanted the DoF to be someone he approved of. This is the guy he tried to have appointed to the role: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_Oriali - though I think there were one or two other Italians he'd have accepted, too. But he didn't get on with Marwood at all and saw his arse when, instead of one of his own preferred candidates, Txiki was brought in. As a result, that relationship was doomed from day one.

I actually got the chance to ask Marwood about what is was like to work with Mancini. It was only a brief conversation but he essentially indicated Mancini was more difficult than the accepted public wisdom i.e. we don't know the half of it. Marwood, BTW, was very matter of fact about it, no bitterness or edge or slagging Mancini off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.