Rolf Harris.

marco said:
The Flash said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Financial well being and security is largely irrelevant to a predatory paedophile - it doesn't matter how much they have in the bank, if they have sexual feelings towards minors then they will inevitably seek out situations where they can act upon those impulses - in fact their fame and reputation as celebrities is often the the very thing that allows them access to children in the first place, as we saw with Savile before him.
And then that position of trust makes it harder for their victims to come forward and be believed - even on this website, folk were reluctant to entertain the idea that nice, friendly Rolf could be an abuser, as people are often taken in by the public facade of respectability.
I doubt Harris has any concept of the impact his vile behaviour has had upon his victims, in fact it's more likely that he will see himself as the victim here - this lack of empathy and self-pity is a recurring feature in paedophiles who are brought to justice.
As to his estimated £12 million fortune, I would be amazed if his victims ever see a penny of it, but then closure to them will be seeing him brought out of Wandsworth in a body bag rather than any compensation claim.

I'm sure that the judge stated that following his conviction, he would not have to pay compensation to the victims.

Can a judge do that? And if so, does it bar the victims from claiming compo with a civil claim?

without doubt there will be civil claims landing on the desk of rolf's solicitor, his personal wealth is around 12 million but his home is owned by his wife and that cant be touched, stewart hall was very crafty and put all his funds into accounts of his family members he wont be paying a penny out to his victims as he now has no money
If that is the case it takes the piss. All his assets should be seized and in the cases of Messrs Hall and Harris their wealth used to fund Barnardos, Samaritans NSPCC, Gt Ormond street etc. Bit harsh on the nonces families but tbf, their dad/husband shouldn't be beasting kids.

StrangewaysHereWeCome said:
marco said:
The Flash said:
I'm sure that the judge stated that following his conviction, he would not have to pay compensation to the victims.

Can a judge do that? And if so, does it bar the victims from claiming compo with a civil claim?

without doubt there will be civil claims landing on the desk of rolf's solicitor, his personal wealth is around 12 million but his home is owned by his wife and that cant be touched, stewart hall was very crafty and put all his funds into accounts of his family members he wont be paying a penny out to his victims as he now has no money
If that is the case it takes the piss. All his assets should be seized and in the cases of Messrs Hall and Harris their wealth used to fund Barnardos, Samaritans NSPCC, Gt Ormond street etc. Bit harsh on the nonces families but tbf, their dad/husband shouldn't be beasting kids.

It's maybe one for the future, that they will look into bringing in something along the lines of the, "proceeds of crime" that keep criminals in jail until they cough up.

Curtis Warren for example has lost his appeal against another 10 years inside unless he can pay up £198,000,000. Despite there been no proof he has that sort of money.

I'd guess the likes of Stuart and Rolf would miraculously find some money from somehwere if they were told at the end of their sentences that they were going no-where until they found a few quid for their victims.

Take the fact that both Hall and Harris are scum bags out of it but can or could their earnings be classed as proceeds of crime, I cannot see how they can be compared with Curtis Warren.

It would be difficult to prove that any of Rolf's money was made abusing anyone. It could be said his paintings or portraits are some form of abuse as they are shit.

mayo31 said:
Take the fact that both Hall and Harris are scum bags out of it but can or could their earnings be classed as proceeds of crime, I cannot see how they can be compared with Curtis Warren.

It would be difficult to prove that any of Rolf's money was made abusing anyone. It could be said his paintings or portraits are some form of abuse as they are shit.

I'm not suggesting the current law could be used. Or that the proceeds of crime could be used against Rolf.

I'm suggesting it may be an idea for them to look into changing the law so these people who are obviously minted, can be told to cough up or stay inside, in a similar way to the proceeds of crime thing works.

You have a point.

I not keen on the idea that they were given 'time' to sort out their assets before the case was concluded.

mayo31 said:
You have a point.

I not keen on the idea that they were given 'time' to sort out their assets before the case was concluded.

to a certain degree depending on your views it could be said that Stuart halls immediate family are indeed preventing claim awards to the victims by sitting on his cash therefore in my eyes they are not much better than hall themselves and they certainly have no thoughts towards the victims what so ever

Moving a bit off topic but while on the subject of compensation to victims, I keep reading about how scores of Savile's victims are going to be in line for a pay out.

How is this going to work?

He was of course never convicted of anything. So how are they planning on deciding who exactly is entitled and who isn't?

marco said:
mayo31 said:
You have a point.

to a certain degree depending on your views it could be said that Stuart halls immediate family are indeed preventing claim awards to the victims by sitting on his cash therefore in my eyes they are not much better than hall themselves and they certainly have no thoughts towards the victims what so ever

Think that's a bit harsh on the family to be fair.

Perhaps one way around it is for the wife to be given half of all the assets and the criminal to have his share taken away, like a divorce settlement.

I'm not sure whether money would even help the victims though. Imagine having had this abuse on your mind for all this time and you finally get some closure. Surely a windfall of cash from the abuser would just remind you of the ordeal all over again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.