Roy Hodgson

England, rightly or wrongly, have decided that they want to go down the route of employing an Englishman as the national team manager. In making that decision they have limited the number of potential candidates for the role. Roy Hodgson is far from being a great manager, one with tactical nouse and a feel for the modern game. He's not too far away from being 70, and the last time he won anything as a manager was the Danish League title, some 15 years ago. The problem is, who is a better option? Redknapp? Do fuck off. Pardew? A very average manager. Allardyce? I don't think so. Maybe we should go with someone less experienced, Eddie Howe perhaps, or take a punt on a former player with no real managerial experience (although Gary Neville has proven this can be a flawed approach).

Modern football has moved on since Hodgson was relevant, unfortunately there seems to be no-one English who has stepped up. So we're probably stuck with him.

I
England, rightly or wrongly, have decided that they want to go down the route of employing an Englishman as the national team manager. In making that decision they have limited the number of potential candidates for the role. Roy Hodgson is far from being a great manager, one with tactical nouse and a feel for the modern game. He's not too far away from being 70, and the last time he won anything as a manager was the Danish League title, some 15 years ago. The problem is, who is a better option? Redknapp? Do fuck off. Pardew? A very average manager. Allardyce? I don't think so. Maybe we should go with someone less experienced, Eddie Howe perhaps, or take a punt on a former player with no real managerial experience (although Gary Neville has proven this can be a flawed approach).

Modern football has moved on since Hodgson was relevant, unfortunately there seems to be no-one English who has stepped up. So we're probably stuck with him.
reckon has to be Eddie Howe or that Warburton bloke depending on Rangers over the next season

However, it is clear that Hodgson understands international football and what is needed for success. His qualification record underlines this.
So why hasn't he succeeded? He's had the players, easy group stages in major tournaments, he's had time to mould a team together, but he has come up short time and time again.
He should have been given the boot after the World Cup, then we might have had a chance at the Euros under a manager who picks players on form only - something Hodgson has failed to do throughout his tenure.

So why hasn't he succeeded? He's had the players, easy group stages in major tournaments, he's had time to mould a team together, but he has come up short time and time again.
He should have been given the boot after the World Cup, then we might have had a chance at the Euros under a manager who picks players on form only - something Hodgson has failed to do throughout his tenure.
He is coming up short thats for sure but im not sure Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica is an easy group stage in the World Cup

Should get a new contract imo. We are obviously set on staying English and i just can't see anybody out there that would do a better job. He's not lit the world alight or anything but he's done a capable job with what he's had to work with so far and you can kind of see what he's trying to do with the team. His reluctance to drop Rooney is a problem that will only get bigger but i can't see us employing anybody that would have the balls to drop him anyway. Give him another 2 years to continue to build the team, he'll not leave the team in a mess.

Was having the same discussion and came to the conclusion that people tend to dismiss Allardyce for no good reason. Although he's not renowned for his tactical genius, he tends to make the best of what he's got. I would give him the job after Hodgson if we decided to stick with an English manager.

Was having the same discussion and came to the conclusion that people tend to dismiss Allardyce for no good reason. Although he's not renowned for his tactical genius, he tends to make the best of what he's got. I would give him the job after Hodgson if we decided to stick with an English manager.
BFS wouldn't be an FA yes man so by default he won't be offered it.

It would be Southgate and they'd promote it as him being successful winning the Toulon tournament with "the next golden generation"

And he's cheap, and the FA are skint

Do you know anything about football? Like, at all?

Hodgson’s CV far eclipsed anything Harry Redknapp, the other contender at the time, ever achieved.

Hodgson already had plenty of international experience as a manager before being appointed England manager.

Seven league titles in Sweden, 1 league title in Denmark, two UEFA Europa League runners up medals with Inter Milan and Fulham.

He managed Finland, United Arab Emirates and Switzerland – the latter being his most successful. He led the Swiss national side to the Round of 16 of the 1994 World Cup in the US and followed this up by qualification to Euro ’96 in England. Before Hodgson’s tenure, Switzerland had not qualified for a major international tournament since the 1966 World Cup.

Of course, it would be wrong to compare these jobs to the size and pressure associated with the England job. However, it is clear that Hodgson understands international football and what is needed for success. His qualification record underlines this.

Maybe it's just me but I think the only thing remotely impressive enough to be manager of England out of those achievements is losing in the UEFA cup final final with Fulham and that's fuck all really.

I don't like him, he's underperformed for too long and he makes me not care about about watching my country play which is sad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.