Running a Marathon ...

BlueHammer85

Not sure if having a mid-life crisis but I've signed up to do a Marathon - anyone done one on here ? Any tips and advice would be welcome.

Yep did London in 2004 great experience, get training now if you can start off slow I starred on 3 miles a day by the end I was doing 18-20 max. Had to do mine in the treadmill as well due to injury, join a running club they will really help you.
Never wanted to do another after though couldn't walk for 3 days lol

Go for it mate. I restarted my running again in Febuary and have lost 25lb to date. Always thought about running a marathon but at the moment have pnly run a 10k.

Go for it mate. I restarted my running again in Febuary and have lost 25lb to date. Always thought about running a marathon but at the moment have pnly run a 10k.

Cheers mate. It starts in April. I stay relatively fit playing football once a week and going gym - but I've never run long distance before properly. So a little nervous. Looking forward to getting Xmas out the way so can take it seriously with the training.

The best advice I was given was to aim to gradually build up your weekly mileage rather than trying to see how far you can run. Once you've got a solid base of decently weekly mileage, the longer distances will come.

Thinking about running a marathon? Mid life crisis doesn't get near it.

Have you sought professional advice? There are people who can help. I know, a few years back I thought about adopting a Tiger, in the end just didn't have the room.

Don't suffer in silence. It's only a phase that will last until Altzheimers kicks in.

Only joking. Good on you.

Still mad as fuck though. :)

Get a training plan - there's loads online.

As someone has said, build up your mileage and aim to do a long run at weekend. Pace doesn't really matter, its time on feet that really counts.

Don't let anyone tell you its easy. Its not.

Good luck

One point for the day of the run. If they still do things the same as when I ran a marathon, you are asked to line up at the start near a sign post showing your expected time to finish. So if you think you can do it in 3 hours, start near the 3 hour marker. If you think you can do it in 4 hours then start from the 4 hour marker and so on, I thought I'd do it in about 3.5 hours but actually started from something like the 4.5 hour marker because I was very confident that I could do this time with ease. Big mistake!! When you set off running there's just a wall of people in front of you all running at 4.5 hour pace and its very difficult to get past them. Running at someone else's pace and not your own is very difficult and the first 10 miles or so were really hard. Once the crowd thins out a bit, then you're ok but I wish I'd have started nearer to the front than I did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.