Running

Running has changed my life.
It’s tough, gruelling and can be awful at times. But the rewards are amazing.
I love travelling to new places, new areas for a 10k or half marathon race. The beer after is the real reward though !

Depending where you live, Park Run is a good way of getting into running, worked for me. Every Sat morning at 9.00am for a 5k, I do the Heaton Park one most Saturdays and then do Worsley, Bolton if I fancy a change or Heaton is cancelled. I’m up to nearly 120 now, every week is timed properly and get your results via text/email. It’s great.
Get yourself over to the Lyme Park parkrun, over 300 feet of ascent. Don't expect any PB's though.

ran 4 marathons in my 20's and said will do this into my 60's, then knees, shin problems etc. and got angsty about it but switched to cycling, gym.
Last 18 months or so find I can run up to one hour on treadmill without too much problem so great to be back doing it but very slow and with ipod playing Bruce Springsteen (often same song x 6/7!) great way to relax. If precede with an hour's swim good way to keep weight down. Hit 60 next year.
PS was there for the Aguerrrooooo moment and still get fly in eye when watch it again

How's the training going? Any goals for time? I'm hoping to the find the pacer that gets you round in 3:56 as I've done 2 marathons to date and both times did it in 4:08, so I'm determined to do sub-4 this time around.
I'm in a very similar boat to you mate. My PB is 4:07:44 (8 years ago!) and I would really like to go under 4 hours. Training is going well; I'd like to do more but with work and family etc... You know how it is. The distance will be no problem; done quite a few 20/21/22 mile runs recently but keeping the pace under 9m/m will be the challenge for me.
Have you got a ballot place (blue start) or charity (red start)? I've got my first ever ballot place after a good number of years trying. I'm in pen 5 in the blue start (for people who entered a predicted time between 3:45 and 3:59).

i run at least 5 times a week but my diet is bloody awful, i think i have a genuine problem. Im happy with my pace, generally in and around the 7.30/40 minute miles, and my actual meal times are fine, but then a soon as i taste a bit of sugar/chocolate/savory snack thats it, i binge and the days good run is wasted and then some. i just cant stop snacking.

Sounds nothing but been running 400 metres every day. 200 metres from my car to work every morning and night. At first it was agony but been doing every work day since Xmas and can feel it getting easier all the time. Also at weekends do 1km on a Saturday and Sunday on the treadmill.

Just this and cutting out bread and also swimming 64 lengths a week has helped me get my body fat down from 31 percent at Xmas to 24.5 percent tonight. Well chuffed.

I’ve done the Manchester 10k a few times, but my times were getting progressively slower by a few minutes each time the older I get, so doubt I’ll do it again. The problem is I just find running a completely joyless experience. Still do the treadmill at the gym but it’s a real chore. Need to start playing football again really, as at least I enjoy that, but it was wrecking my knees and ankles. The joys of hitting 40!

I'm 48 and and started running mid January. Not ran since school days etc. Over 15 stone! (short arse as well, so not good shape), but don't smoke.
I'm very active through my job which involves ladders and constantly walking around and lifting. So thought i was fairly fit. (for my age)
Instead of reading up first, i just drove up to Dovestones Reservoir and started jogging. Fuck me i nearly passed out within a minute.
I walked until i caught my breath, and then jogged a bit more.
The total distance was 3.2k and it took me 33 mins. The weird thing is i had no leg pain/ache during or afterwards. It was all my breathing (or lack of it!)
Realised i needed i bit of advice and read up a bit. Yes , i had got it all wrong. Too much too soon.

I've stuck at it, and try to go three times a week if my job allows. Two months later i'm now sub 20 mins for 3.5k. I no longer need to walk, and last week was the first time i felt in control of my breathing. I must admit, i did begin to wonder what the fuss about running was. All i wanted to do was stop the minute i started running!

Somehow my weight had started to go up a bit! WTF? I think i thought because i was running, i could now eat a bit more. So for the last two weeks i have controlled my diet. The weight has started to rapidly fall off.
My next target is to run for 5k. Not worried about the time. I just want to be in control breath wise.

I did take some advice about joint damage, as i was diagnosed with early onset Osteoarthritis a few years a go. That actually turned out to be caused by nothing more than severe dehydration. The official line is that moderate running can actually be of benefit to the joints. 30 mins three times a week will not cause me any problems.

Early days but loving that feeling "after" a run. Feeling much fitter and it's helping in my job.

Last edited:
i run at least 5 times a week but my diet is bloody awful, i think i have a genuine problem. Im happy with my pace, generally in and around the 7.30/40 minute miles, and my actual meal times are fine, but then a soon as i taste a bit of sugar/chocolate/savory snack thats it, i binge and the days good run is wasted and then some. i just cant stop snacking.

I'm the same. Most of what I eat is fine but as soon as someone cracks out the sweet stuff at work I'm like a rabid sugar lunatic.

Only started running this time last year, joined the local athletics club and head to parkrun to run or volunteer when I get chance. Currently at 20:24 for 5k, 45 for 10k and completed my first HM just before Christmas a couple minutes under 2 hours.

Sub 20 is the next goal for 5k, and to run a few more half marathons before applying to do the Berlin marathon in a year or 2.

Lincoln 10k this Sunday if it's on due to weather warnings and vale of york 10 mile next month, bring on those lighter evenings!

Same. I eat so much junk after runnings it’s ridiculous

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.