Rusholme’s curry mile

Anybody go to the original curry mile on Stockport road Levenshulme?
It started at the flea Pit (Palace Cinema) right up to Mcvities. I think it is mainly kebab shops now.
Used to go in the Tahkdir (sp), upstairs opposite the Midway, think there was a funeral directors in the premises below.

Used to go in the Tahkdir (sp), upstairs opposite the Midway, think there was a funeral directors in the premises below.
Was anyone checking the coffins weren't emptied on the way out?

Was anyone checking the coffins weren't emptied on the way out?

I'm unsure but back then you got your chicken on the bone unless you asked for it otherwise, tbh it wasn't a bad place, also used to use the Miramar Chinese near the Palace, best hot & sour soup I've ever had, never found one to match it.

I distinctively remember ' Charlies' or the Plaza Cafe I think it was called. The only place where the rice was cold and the sauce was very very hot but the mixed grill came with cabbage of all things. The lino was peeling off the floor,the water bottles were in fact anything that could hold water and every chair was different. What a place....
next to The Blackstock pub on Upper Brook St

As a wee lad I used to go to the Bombay in Chorlton-in-Medlock. Brunswick St, I think.
Was the Bombay the first Indian restaurant in M/cr, and is it still there?
Upper Brook St

2mrfgvl.jpg

Went there Sunday night late on after the match. Place I went was shit. Had no toilet so had the find the nearest shisha bar. In order to use the toilet had to buy something. Smoked it, went to the toilet and threw up.

Miramar moved a good few years back went to a takeaway only its in heaton chapel now just past mcvities

I went to one in the early 80s it was near the large Norweb offices/ depot. Cannot remember the road. I had a chicken madras and it was basically a whole chicken in a bowl of sauce. I couldn't eat it all so I asked to take it away. He put the curry in an old stera milk bottle. Iirc it had 2 toilets one for men and the other for students. Proper flea pit but food was good. The owner was more African than Asian.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.