Russia 2018 & Racism

Racism in Russia is an issue, especially for the World Cup. But in the end, I don't believe Racism will be an issue. Euro 2012 perfect example, all that scaremongering before the tournament started and once it started, we heard zero cases of anything happening. Racism is a huge problem in Italy not to mention. Italy just as bad, with KPB and Balotelli walking off the pitch crying. Russia has hosted countless world championships, but racism is the last thing you'd hear in those. But I do hope Russia sorts its shit out with racism.

Racism around the world is an issue, right here in Manchester - it just isn't as obvious/in your face.
I'm aware of some people who proclaim to be big City supporters yet dislike the ethnicity of our current and previous Thai owner.
They'll cheer when Yaya scores for us but openly dislike him because of his race.

Luckily for us we live in a more tolerant society and thus if anyone near me at the etihad monkey chanted Yaya they'd quickly be removed from the stadium.

I just can't believe this is discussed in 2015... fucking joke.

It'd be good if Russia was seen to be getting rid of Racism instead of the Ukraine.

The average Russian is racist, they think nothing of using the N word and calling them monkeys when talking about a black person. They are decades behind everyone else when it comes to racial tolerance.

The average Russian is racist, they think nothing of using the N word and calling them monkeys when talking about a black person. They are decades behind everyone else when it comes to racial tolerance.
That's a very misinformed post. Firstly, Russia isn't behind everyone else. There are just as bad nations when it comes to racial tolerance. Italy are just as bad when it comes to racism. Most eastern European nations are racist too. Secondly, quit using the word "average russian" because it's 100% wrong. There's a difference between neo-nazi racist skinheads you would find in certain documentaries made by Reggie Yates and a typical Russian.

That's a very misinformed post. Firstly, Russia isn't behind everyone else. There are just as bad nations when it comes to racial tolerance. Italy are just as bad when it comes to racism. Most eastern European nations are racist too. Secondly, quit using the word "average russian" because it's 100% wrong. There's a difference between neo-nazi racist skinheads you would find in certain documentaries made by Reggie Yates and a typical Russian.

They may not be "decades behind everyone else" however if the only real defence is "yeah, but these other countries are just as racist" then that isn't really a defence at all.

Every country has it's mindless thugs who spout racist stuff, however Russia clearly has a bigger problem than, say, the UK for example. The fact these racist attitudes seem to have reached the higher echelons of football in Russia (some of the quotes attributed to football officials in Russia are just mind blowingly backward) is what's most worrying.

When your own government is actively discriminating against certain people based upon their sexual persuasion it's hardly a good sign for how the general populous will react to those deemed as "different".

Didn't Jo say that when he was walking through the streets in Russia, people would stare at him and make the sign of the cross? (I know some of us did but that was for entirely different reasons)

You seem to think I get my information from sources like the Daily Mail and Reggie Yates documentaries, I have worked in, and around, Russia for 9 years, I am married to a Russian woman so I think I speak from a position of experience. In my time working there the use of words and attitudes that the average UK person stopped using 40 years ago is common place, the casual use of the N word is a common thing without a second thought given to it, the distrust and seeing a black person as a lesser person is common, ask your fellow countrymen what they call the US president, I think you would be shocked and disappointed in their response.

I couldn't find other threads of Russian Racism but I happen to come across across a video today and I found it interesting. Worth checking out!

This is a perfect video to hear the perspective of a racism in Russian from a proper african in Russia. None of that media nonsense.

Last edited:
Didn't Jo say that when he was walking through the streets in Russia, people would stare at him and make the sign of the cross? (I know some of us did but that was for entirely different reasons)

I just wanted the **** to get on the end of a cross.

What has Sol Campbell got to say about the situation?
Fuck Sol what about that group of black lawyer's who pipe up from time to time.

The world cup will pass of reasonabley quietly as the average Russian idiot won't have tickets for the games and stuff outside the grounds will be hidden under a big fuckoff wave of bullshit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.