Ryan Bertrand

But a lot of fullbacks could become the best in Europe under Pep's tutelage. Why are we fixated on this one?

Based on what exactly? Alves was already one of the best in Europe at Sevilla. Abidal played in a World Cup final 2 years pre-Pep. He turned Lahm into a midfielder, Alaba was already a European Cup winning leftback when Pep turned up. He's since also played Kimmich and Fernandinho out of position at rightback; there's no evidence of him ever actually doing what you suggest he could.

Pocchettino inherited Walker and Rose as maligned, flawed footballers, and managed to turn them into the best fullbacks in the league 'worth' £50m each; Guardiola has never facilitated such a quantum leap in quality like that for any player.

Bertrand would/will be a quality signing; he does everything unspectacularly well.

The only worry I have is, as a contender for the starting LB position for England, in a World Cup year, is he really gonna risk having reduced playing time & play second fiddle to Mendy? I'm not so sure.

If he isn't coming now then I suppose Danilo makes even more sense looking at the recent city watch tweet (can't remember which journo) that pep would use him at rb and lb.

Problem is it looks like Delph is leaving, which means we need a homegrown player and Bertrand was one of the few out there that I didn't think would look out of place starting games for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.