Ryanair carry on bag

I don't think you'd get much disagreement, but it might be worth mentioning that it is carriers like Ryanair which have brought this ridiculous situation about.

Michael O'Leary himself was for years trying to get everyone to NOT bring hold luggage and to pack everything in hand luggage. He went as far as saying that people should buy toiletries, more clothes etc at their destination so as to not have to carry them.

It seems they've now realised how ridiculous that was and the problems this trend of trying to carry everything with you has caused.

Why people still consider flying on these sh*tty airlines to shi*holes in Europe I have no idea, Ryanair have made things more competitive I guess but the quality has gone down into the pits. In fact traveling anywhere in Europe is no longer a case of you get what you pay for but a race to the bottom of how bad they can get away with for the massive price you are paying.

I looked the other week and it was £750 each to go to Tenerife for 5 nights half board?!!? The flight got you there at 9pm and if I wanted to take bags it was £50 a pop! Thankfully they somehow managed to throw in a coach that would take us from the airport which was nice of them!

On the flipside, I've seen Mexico all inclusive for £1100 for 7 nights, everything included. You can even fly to Miami for £300 or so nowadays where the hotels, food and the place itself is out of this world.

Other than because of the cost of going elsewhere, it is bizarre to me why people still go to these places when they haven't got any better in 50 years yet the prices seems to have gone up 1000x.

Why people still consider flying on these sh*tty airlines to shi*holes in Europe I have no idea, Ryanair have made things more competitive I guess but the quality has gone down into the pits. In fact traveling anywhere in Europe is no longer a case of you get what you pay for but a race to the bottom of how bad they can get away with for the massive price you are paying.

I looked the other week and it was £750 each to go to Tenerife for 5 nights half board?!!? The flight got you there at 9pm and if I wanted to take bags it was £50 a pop! Thankfully they somehow managed to throw in a coach that would take us from the airport which was nice of them!

On the flipside, I've seen Mexico all inclusive for £1100 for 7 nights, everything included. You can even fly to Miami for £300 or so nowadays where the hotels, food and the place itself is out of this world.

Other than because of the cost of going elsewhere, it is bizarre to me why people still go to these places when they haven't got any better in 50 years yet the prices seems to have gone up 1000x.

As posted above, because generally they're cheap and convenient
Last December I flew to Tenerife for a long weekend and the cost could have been £160 return per person
When you think about it, that really is a bargain, £80 to fly to the Canary Islands
Thursday evening flight and a Monday evening return

I think perhaps you're mixing up hotel costs and flight costs.

When I started flying to Europe on business in the late 1990's, a return from London to Paris on BA or Air France was around £500. It's now less than half of that, and usually much less than half. The £500 back in 1995 is about £950 in real terms.

I used to fly from London to Vienna regularly as well. That cost me anything up to £900 (in economy, btw) - £1,700 equivalent in today's money. The same flight today is about £200.

So there's been something like a 50% to 80% drop in prices over the last 20 years, whilst at the same time the fuel costs have gone through the roof.

How I wish train fares had gone down by 50% to 80% over that period!

So I really don't know how you can talk about the prices going up 1000x ?????!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.