Saving City games from full dvr

bluesilver

Save me Blue Moon, you're my only hope! Gutted bc I've already lost some by default paring and it's so old my cable co. actually wants to trade it out before it crashes on me. I can procrastinate no longer.

Just bought this new fancy HP Envy with 1TB hard drive and Cyberlink Power Director 12. I'm hoping I can just connect to my tv/dvr with HDMI. Problem is I don't know if that's enough or if a video capture card is needed, along with learning how the editing stuff works. I will definitely be trying it out tomorrow.

Is there an easier way of archiving? I have an old dvd recorder but after looking it up, it's from 2005 and only does standard def. No go. I don't know if using the pc is the hard way or if there's something simpler to save the old City games and football shows I have on my dvr. TiVo is mentioned but I'm unsure if that will help my present problem.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not a subject that I'm particularly experienced in but what model DVR is it? What connections does it have? Can you connect an external USB HD to backup your saved content to transfer to the new one (by far the simplest solution if it's possible)?

BTW if you do have to do it by recording them via a video capture device (or whatever) it would be in real time so if you've got 2 days of content it's going to take 2 days to record it, I hope you're not in a rush ;)

Thinking about it if it has a USB port just try connecting it to your PC via USB (unless you can see it via your router if both are attached) and see if the PC recognises the HD of your DVR. Chances are they may be encrypted anyway but it's a no loss attempt.

Edit: or depending on model just remove the HD from the box and plug it into the PC internally.
Although some are a bugger to actually get to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replies.

It's a 10 y/o Panasonic DMR-ES10. No USB port, HDMI unfortunately :( It's got composite, component, s-video connections. Guess I am being
a stickler bc I love that the games are in HD but my recorder is not. I know enough to be dangerous with electronics but don't think I could
take a hard drive out of an AT&T Uverse dvr and put it back together. There is USB port on dvr, I will try that. From what I've read though, the files are encrypted. Surely, there's a way around that.

Looks like I have to schedule a long weekend of pure City watching. What a hardship!!

Thank you for your suggestions. If you have any more ideas, please pass them on.

Thank you for your replies.

It's a 10 y/o Panasonic DMR-ES10. No USB port, HDMI unfortunately :( It's got composite, component, s-video connections. Guess I am being
a stickler bc I love that the games are in HD but my recorder is not. I know enough to be dangerous with electronics but don't think I could
take a hard drive out of an AT&T Uverse dvr and put it back together. There is USB port on dvr, I will try that. From what I've read though, the files are encrypted. Surely, there's a way around that.

Looks like I have to schedule a long weekend of pure City watching. What a hardship!!

Thank you for your suggestions. If you have any more ideas, please pass them on.
Sorry I'm confused (or you are ;) ). The Panasonic DMR-ES10 seems to be a DVD recorder that records to blank DVD's. Are your match's on DVD's or are they recorded on to something else?

"There is USB port on dvr" ???

im confused too here
are the games recorded on dvd from that time period or have you downloaded em from the net and lookin for a way to store/edit them

if they are on disc then depending on the file format (usually video ts/audio ts) you could just copy them to your laptop ,edit/convert whatever you want then copy the results to an external hd
hdmi laptop to your tv then playback from external hd
or im talking total bollocks cause i didnt understand the question lol

Sorry, about the confusion.

My dvr, supplied by my cable co., is full of recorded City games-to the point of losing some of the older ones. It's a Motorola VIP 1225 250GB, 50 hrs HDTV.

I am trying to archive or save some games however, easiest way if possible. I have an old dvd recorder, that can make dvds, but doesn't record in HD, just
standard. I also have a new laptop with video software (Cyberlink PD), HDMI port.

Because of work and crazy home repairs, I haven't been able to sit down and try either of these 2 devices out but I have dedicated this weekend to do just that.
I've been reading up some more, and it just gets more blurry. Like if I need capture card or not, or maybe buy a slingbox type thing as this will happen again.
Although a nice Blue is sharing newer games on the Matchday forum.

Hope this clear things up and I really do appreciate the help!

I'm not sure you can save them TBH, they're probably encrypted when you recorded them and although I've not done extensive research, all of the video capture devices I've seen won't allow capture if it's copy righted. You may be able to play them through your laptop and use 3rd party screen capturing software but it's not something I've tried and it would have to be done in real time.

It may be easier to try and get copies of the important ones and let the rest go.

ok, i think your bolloxed here
just done a bit of research and the recorded files are something called .slc files
these files are parsed and there will be literally thousends of em
they all need putting back together but this would need extensive knowledge of hex editing which im guessing
is beyond your knowhow
i even looked into cloning the 250gig onto a 2 tb or similar drive but the same rules apply before you can clone
there are tutorials available if you think you can hack it (no pun intended lol)

how old are these games?
if there from the last 7 years they would be available on usenet for a small subscription
for example giganews has a 6-7 year retention on binaries.
Ive just checked my newsreader and searched city vs utd and the games from 2010 onwards are available to download

I would just bite the bullet here and take cols advise

hope this helps

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.