Scottish Guy arrested in Dubai, UAE

remember a couple of years ago the Hearts yoof had a batch of fakes for away game at Inverness
flooded a lot of the pubs and clubs with them but got caught and arrested next day as the daft twats also used them to pay for taxis back to their hotels

Agree that they are behind. And nothing wrong with being a guardian reader, I am one. I am genuinely asking if that really is an offence in UAE ? Or is that a guardian summarised version of a more complicated offence? As far as other offences you mentioned, they are just distracting from the offence in question in this situation so not really interested in them.
Yes, as stated by the law group ‘Detained in Dubai’ :

Detained in Dubai said: 'Jamie denies this latter charge vehemently, restating that his only intention was to avoid spilling a drink.

'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law.’

They have a section about alcohol laws on their website.

Ps, I read the original article in Gulf Times but the Mail has a more thorough retelling than the one I copy and pasted.

Yes, as stated by the law group ‘Detained in Dubai’ :

Detained in Dubai said: 'Jamie denies this latter charge vehemently, restating that his only intention was to avoid spilling a drink.

'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law.’

They have a section about alcohol laws on their website.

Ps, I read the original article in Gulf Times but the Mail has a more thorough retelling than the one I copy and pasted.
Ok. Your only quoting what the papers say or the statement reads and not the government version of the law.

I have not read it but i would hazard a guess that there is something missing from the statement above. May be something along the lines of "Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system outside the licensed premises."

Of course the person in question would deny the 2nd charge as anyone wanting to escape punishment would do (and he may be telling truth) but it could easily be Banter gone wrong i.e. in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hard to tell.

And yet Dubai is very popular as a tourist destination. Think I'll pass.
I wonder about this. why is it so popular for tourists if their laws are far behind the modern/western culture. Can anyone provide an argument for why it is so popular for tourists despite its laws?

May be something along the lines of "Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system outside the licensed premises."
The arrested him at the venue and then charged him with having alcohol in his system.

How often do you stay at a club until you are back to having zero alcohol in your system?

From gov.co.uk

Alcoholic drinks are served in licensed hotels and clubs, but it is a punishable offence to drink, or to be under the influence of alcohol, in public. The legal age for drinking alcohol is 18 in Abu Dhabi (although a Ministry of Tourism by-law allows hotels to serve alcohol only to those over 21), and 21 in Dubai and the Northern Emirates (except Sharjah, where drinking alcohol is illegal).

Passengers in transit through the UAE under the influence of alcohol may also be arrested.

I wonder about this. why is it so popular for tourists if their laws are far behind the modern/western culture. Can anyone provide an argument for why it is so popular for tourists despite its laws?
Probably because they don’t know the risks.

Brits are more likely to be arrested in the UAE than anywhere else in the world outside the UK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.