Scouser Nails Modern Football - & It's the Same with Us

I suppose the thing with nostalgia is that you look back and remember the good bits, not the shit bits. (Although I well remember going to places like Liverpool and being sick with worry and fear from getting off the train to getting back on. Strange to recall, the sense of danger was a bit of a buzz.)

However, the old days aren't coming back. However much we may want to return to 1973 (or whatever year you choose) it isn't going to happen because the whole of society has moved on.

Football has become, for many, a bit like Royal Ascot. Somewhere you go to be seen, to swank because you can afford to pay a stupid amount. The game itself is practically background music.

Meanwhile, the ordinary fan has to sit down, shut up and behave, on pain of dire penalties. So yeah, it's a different world. I can quite understand why a lot of people aren't happy with it. But the people in charge are happy with it. They can sell quite ordinary seats for fifty odd notes, and get something like 98% attendance. So nothing's going to change.

I am exactly the same. Love City been going since I was 2 and I am now 50. However, I don't tend to watch other teams too much nowadays in the TV. Used to watch everything that was on and loved it. It's too corporate, too polished, with mostly fuckwits presenting or sat in the chairs as pundits. It ain't me anymore..... I will watch city until the day I die and beyond if possible, but I worry for the future of the game as a whole.

Pretty much the same sentiments here.

Can't be arsed watching Football Focus or anything similar due to the bullshit which is on constantly - Rags , Dippers etc . Propaganda shite throughout.

Why would I be interested in the thoughts of Ian Wright etc ???????????????????

What about the City fans who are getting sick of it during our upturn? It's the game. Regardless of success or no success, it's everything to do with what it is nowadays. It's shite.

I'm not saying improvements cant be made. Tickets should be cheaper and in my opinion safe standing should be brought in. But that lads in his twenties, the things he lists as issues have been going on for years at Anfield and Old Trafford. He hasn't known what Liverpool was like before they had cockneys filling trains every weekend. He complains about the atmosphere then cites beating Real Madrid at home in the Champions League as what it should be like every week. His issue isn't the 'tourists' ruining the atmosphere, his issue is that they're losing to Southampton rather than beating Real Madrid.

My son loves football and going to games just as much as I did when I was 15. Yes its changed some of its better some worse. But nothing was as great as we remember it back in the day. On the whole I prefer now to the seventies and eighties.
page1image8260

This.

People just want things to be how they were when they were fresh faced and wide eyed because that's when the majority of their fondest memories are from.

Football isn't what it was and it never will be again. Similarly, it will be something else further down the line and we'll all whinge until our sons/ daughters/ grandsons/ granddaughters tell us to shut the fuck up in Mandarin.

This.

People just want things to be how they were when they were fresh faced and wide eyed because that's when the majority of their fondest memories are from.

Football isn't what it was and it never will be again. Similarly, it will be something else further down the line and we'll all whinge until our sons/ daughters/ grandsons/ granddaughters tell us to shut the fuck up in Mandarin.
It's the same as clubbing or going to see Noel Gallagher/stone roses, it's just nostalgia. For me the best period for going to the game coincided with the Madchester era, never to be repeated .

It's the same as clubbing or going to see Noel Gallagher/stone roses, it's just nostalgia. For me the best period for going to the game coincided with the Madchester era, never to be repeated .

There also seemed to be quite a few Chinese at Maine Road in the Oasis hey day but nobody batted an eyelid.

The outrage at "tourists" seems a fairly modern phenomena.

Yes it's become sanitised and boring at times. I'm just grateful that when I was still relatively young I saw City achieve things that I never thought possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.