Secret Footballer has a few digs at our academy

Yes, fair point. It's unclear as it's been worded vaguely (possibly deliberately to help conceal his identity). Seems unlikely to me that we'd be employing such rudimentary training as that at the CFA though.
If you're referring to this bit:

"As I pointed out in the book, you can have all the coaching you like but if it is misdirected – as it was at Manchester City when I was there – where wingers were being asked to hit certain targets for crossing, strikers for shots and defenders for interceptions, that’s all utter nonsense.
Read more at http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/...ppears-willing-to-follow/#RbPQ19tGxcr1IByR.99"

then I read that as to mean when he actually trained at City rather than when he visited (recently). If he does mean the latter then I would 100% guarantee he's talking bollocks.

If you're referring to this bit:

"As I pointed out in the book, you can have all the coaching you like but if it is misdirected – as it was at Manchester City when I was there – where wingers were being asked to hit certain targets for crossing, strikers for shots and defenders for interceptions, that’s all utter nonsense.
Read more at http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/...ppears-willing-to-follow/#RbPQ19tGxcr1IByR.99"

then I read that as to mean when he actually trained at City rather than when he visited (recently). If he does mean the latter then I would 100% guarantee he's talking bollocks.

Yeah, that's how I read it initially too.

I've seen Kevin Davies at United's Littleton Road when the rags u9/10/11 were all playing.

If he has a kid/nephew that plays for either them or the opponents that day it's feasible that he saw a bit of the CFA in a similar visit?

I think the Gibson/cassell days were a period when winning was placed higher than development.Their argument was winning is a critical part of the development process.Lads were rarely played above their natural age.Modern thinking is players need to be challenged to progress and develop.

The modern day City academy appears to be more about development.

I think the Gibson/cassell days were a period when winning was placed higher than development.Their argument was winning is a critical part of the development process.Lads were rarely played above their natural age.Modern thinking is players need to be challenged to progress and develop.

The modern day City academy appears to be more about development.

If you look at most of the first team graduates from that period, they were mainly either big, strong, fast, hard or often all of the above. (Or on the wrong side of the law). Michael Johnson & Ireland being the main exceptions. Quite a few nutters, drunks & general criminal types too.

This thread reminded me, a mate and i discussed this for a couple of hours in the pub a year or so back, maybe two, on the suggestion that the secret footballer was ex-City.

We narrowed down his time period as he mentions being both promoted and relegated, being on £100k + week plus, and being one of the teams better players.

We came up with SWP. Thoughts? Doesn't fit his personality I think, but the criteria fit?

The other idea was Robbie Savage, who was on the books at the scum as a kid, as the negative City stuff from the secret footballer mostly stopped or lessened a little during his mate Mancini's tenure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.