Senior Supporter

Vienna_70

Team supported
Treble Winners 2022/23.
There is an old gent we see nearly every match in the lift going up to or coming down from Level Three and we generally exchange a few words about the game.

Anyway, we saw him last night on the way in and he seemed to be struggling. I noticed he didn't have his walking stick with him, as he usually does, so I asked if he would like a helping hand.

He gratefully accepted and we got chatting. He told us that he first started going when he was nearly ten, in 1936, the year City first won the league. He said Peter Doherty was a wonderful player and he recalls reading a book by joe Mercer, in which Sir Joe states that Doherty was the best player he ever played against. He also remembers other stars like Frank Swift, Eric Brook and Ernie Toseland.

It was wonderful to spend a few minutes in his company and listen to his recollections.

We saw him after the match too and helped him to the tram stop. He told he rides to East Didsbury, and then it's only a ten-minute drive home.

I love people like that. Completely different world to what it is today. What a legend.

now thats love !! unfortunately not the type the club want these days. Unless he was wearing the full kit with City rucksack and bought one of those wanky pies

now thats love !! unfortunately not the type the club want these days. Unless he was wearing the full kit with City rucksack and bought one of those wanky pies
id

Wrong, the problem is the "Bluemoaners" who are on here always knocking the club I have supported since 1949 just hope I can still be around when I reach 90. By the way my dad always said Doherty was the best he had seen in a City shirt and the next best was Bell

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.