Senior Supporter

My folks first went to see City as little kids just before the war.

They went regularly after the war & onwards, went to Huddeersfield just to see Dennis Law before he signed for City, season tickets since the 60s, never missed a season through all the shit years, finally gave up their seats at the end of last season, just because it was becoming a bit too much for them, in their 80s.

Not even a 'thanks' from City.

As if they never existed.

There is an old gent we see nearly every match in the lift going up to or coming down from Level Three and we generally exchange a few words about the game.

Anyway, we saw him last night on the way in and he seemed to be struggling. I noticed he didn't have his walking stick with him, as he usually does, so I asked if he would like a helping hand.

He gratefully accepted and we got chatting. He told us that he first started going when he was nearly ten, in 1936, the year City first won the league. He said Peter Doherty was a wonderful player and he recalls reading a book by joe Mercer, in which Sir Joe states that Doherty was the best player he ever played against. He also remembers other stars like Frank Swift, Eric Brook and Ernie Toseland.

It was wonderful to spend a few minutes in his company and listen to his recollections.

We saw him after the match too and helped him to the tram stop. He told he rides to East Didsbury, and then it's only a ten-minute drive home.

There has to be a way that the higher ups of this forum or some senior representatives from the 1894 group can escalate this sort of gentleman to the club itself. Now of course I am not saying that this guy wants a fuss or would ask for any preferencial treatment but it would be at least nice if the club perhaps made some token gesture. Offered him a meet and greet with club legends in the tunnel club or maybe gave him a more accessible seat nearer pep and the players, just a little something that wouldnt mean financial ruin for the club but would go a long long way to make city fans in general feel special. Eapecially long serving gentlemen like the aforementioned. Good luck to this fella and any other like him and may they long continue to enjoy coming to watch their club.

My folks first went to see City as little kids just before the war.

They went regularly after the war & onwards, went to Huddeersfield just to see Dennis Law before he signed for City, season tickets since the 60s, never missed a season through all the shit years, finally gave up their seats at the end of last season, just because it was becoming a bit too much for them, in their 80s.

Not even a 'thanks' from City.

As if they never existed.

That's fantastic but perhaps you should have let them know as it appears City do recognize their fans.

There was an old bloke in front of me in the South Stand Level 3 yesterday. He had a walking cane, a mini disc, a clipboard, headphones on and he'd brought a pack lunch. Was wondering if it was the same bloke as in the OP. What amazing memories he must have. To still be a match going blue through so many eras just makes me feel all warm inside.

I also saw a woman well into her 80s belting out the Leroy Sane Heartbeat song on the way out of the ground.

It’s not the same bloke, as we’re in Colin Bell Level Three, but it’s great that so many of our senior supporters still feel happy to attend.

I’ve always liked chatting to the older Blues. The stories they have!

The gentleman who sits next to me in 304 is now a mere 78, a relative youngster, I suppose. Coincidentally, we share the same birthday. He's been coming for many years now, a lot longer than I have, and has had both knees done in the last few years, so is not as mobile as he was. He also travels in from Middlewich.
As I've said in another thread, it must be in our DNA.
That'll be Oakiecokie ;-)

now thats love !! unfortunately not the type the club want these days. Unless he was wearing the full kit with City rucksack and bought one of those wanky pies

After I'd bought one of those corned dog hash pies on Saturday I noticed that there was a 'Lancashire Butter' pie, with a 'v' after it for the veggies. I've never heard of such a pie. Is it a pie or just a cardboard tray of vegetables?

Nay, Oakie saw our first cup final!
Do you mean when we were St. Marks?
Actually, Oakie's younger than I am (by a month or so) - I remember making a comment on his 65th birthday thread.

My next home match will be, hopefully, Stoke, in October, as I had another toe off on Friday (damn this diabetes) and won't realistically be fit enough until then. Too much of a walk atm, I'm afraid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.