Sergio Agüero | Manchester City's All Time Top Goalscorer

I really don't see the tricks, though?

I genuinely thought that was what we would be getting, but he's not your traditional typical Brazilian.

He clearly has it in his locker but he seems to be much more of team player, rather than an individual?

The injuries have been most unwelcome in terms of allowing him to get even more game time, but I've spent quite a bit of time just watching him in games, and it's incredible the amount of times he chooses the right option for someone so young.

He's able to give and go and still attack the penalty area, his link-up play and runs across the front post and hanging out are something else.

Jesus is a very smart kid and under Pep, I think he knows he can become one of the best in the world. He even closes down sideways on, and knows which lanes to cut off.

I'm not even sure if Pep wants the team to have a striking focal point, and needs is to be interchangeable and much more fluid, just as it was at Barca, less so, with his Bayern set-up?

Sane is a guy who frustrates the life out of me but it's very apparent that we aren't the same team when he's out, in terms of him keeping the pitch as wide as possible and creating that space inside for some of our midfielders.

In terms of Sergio, he thinks he is doing all the right things by running himself into the ground and chasing into the corners, but it's what impact it has in transition when we get the ball back, he's in the areas that don't pose any real danger and we have nobody inside the penalty area.

As a result, he tries to impose himself by strength and bulldozing his way through, or to the detriment of keeping his head down and ignoring the obvious pass.

Which just goes to underline what a special 'goalscorer' Kun is, in spite of his shortcomings.
Well - I'll watch him with a more open mind now.
I certainly don't think he's Jason Beckford as the tit sittng behind keeps saying when he loses possession. I know what your saying about Sane, but It's clear what he adds and brings. Obviously I need to watch Jesus more.

I just think Jesus has not even begun to get going yet. That's why we've not seen the tricks or skills, and that's why he's been pretty conservative in his attacking play.

His longest run of starts for us has been 6 games, at the beginning of the seasons and he scored 5 goals and looked great. After that it was all very much him and Sergio rotating until the injury.

When he really establishes himself, gets a bit more confident and is playing every week, alongside Aguero or instead of him, I think we'll see a different beast all together.

I think we'll see it this summer at the World Cup when he is top scorer.

He's that good.

Well - I'll watch him with a more open mind now.
I certainly don't think he's Jason Beckford as the tit sittng behind keeps saying when he loses possession. I know what your saying about Sane, but It's clear what he adds and brings. Obviously I need to watch Jesus more.

Could have been worse, he could have compared him to Darren!

I really don't see the tricks, though?

I genuinely thought that was what we would be getting, but he's not your traditional typical Brazilian.

He clearly has it in his locker but he seems to be much more of team player, rather than an individual?

The injuries have been most unwelcome in terms of allowing him to get even more game time, but I've spent quite a bit of time just watching him in games, and it's incredible the amount of times he chooses the right option for someone so young.

He's able to give and go and still attack the penalty area, his link-up play and runs across the front post and hanging out are something else.

Jesus is a very smart kid and under Pep, I think he knows he can become one of the best in the world. He even closes down sideways on, and knows which lanes to cut off.

I'm not even sure if Pep wants the team to have a striking focal point, and needs is to be interchangeable and much more fluid, just as it was at Barca, less so, with his Bayern set-up?

Sane is a guy who frustrates the life out of me but it's very apparent that we aren't the same team when he's out, in terms of him keeping the pitch as wide as possible and creating that space inside for some of our midfielders.

In terms of Sergio, he thinks he is doing all the right things by running himself into the ground and chasing into the corners, but it's what impact it has in transition when we get the ball back, he's in the areas that don't pose any real danger and we have nobody inside the penalty area.

As a result, he tries to impose himself by strength and bulldozing his way through, or to the detriment of keeping his head down and ignoring the obvious pass.

Which just goes to underline what a special 'goalscorer' Kun is, in spite of his shortcomings.

I understand the point you are making about Aguero, and I've thought the same myself when he is going through his barren patches.

Last summer and in January, I genuinely thought Sanchez will come in and offer us exactly what Pep wants. He'll close down intelligently, he'll link play better, he'll be interchangeable across the front line. He'll basically be Messi without the goals.

But then, the last few weeks I've come to realise, Aguero is Messi's goals without the build up play. He's scored more than Messi this season. He's got the best goals per minute ratio in the history of the league.

He doesn't close down very intelligently, he doesn't link play particularly well, he's generally pretty poor at running with the ball. He's not really a Guardiola type player in his all round game. But his goal return is astonishing. It's phenomenal in fact and people seem to be over-looking that and concentrating too much on his flaws.

So yes, Jesus or even Sanchez could have come in and made us more fluid, fit in to the system better. Arguably made us a more slick, well oiled machine. But would we score more goals and win more games without Aguero? I'm not so sure.

When he is on form, as he is now, he would be the first name on he team sheet if it was up to me. As for him supposedly not offering anything when he's not scoring, what about the five assists in the league which is only one less than Sterling. There's definitely more in the cups as well.

We'd be foolish to let him go in the next year or so. He's proving still that he's our best goal scorer by far.

Jesus hasn't realised potential yet, so of course consistency and his peak is dependent on this. My concern with Jesus is that he went through a dry spell and he's missed almost a year of his development already through injury at an early age. Unless we're in the market for another pedigree striker, Aguero is going to be one of our main men.

His play doesn't quite match the midfields behind him, but watching highlight reels from this season show some of the sublime passes he's made this season, some of which have registered as assists and others which weren't finished off. Some of his link up play and involvement has very much so improved. He's not exactly Benjani up there in our team.

I understand the point you are making about Aguero, and I've thought the same myself when he is going through his barren patches.

Last summer and in January, I genuinely thought Sanchez will come in and offer us exactly what Pep wants. He'll close down intelligently, he'll link play better, he'll be interchangeable across the front line. He'll basically be Messi without the goals.

But then, the last few weeks I've come to realise, Aguero is Messi's goals without the build up play. He's scored more than Messi this season. He's got the best goals per minute ratio in the history of the league.

He doesn't close down very intelligently, he doesn't link play particularly well, he's generally pretty poor at running with the ball. He's not really a Guardiola type player in his all round game. But his goal return is astonishing. It's phenomenal in fact and people seem to be over-looking that and concentrating too much on his flaws.

So yes, Jesus or even Sanchez could have come in and made us more fluid, fit in to the system better. Arguably made us a more slick, well oiled machine. But would we score more goals and win more games without Aguero? I'm not so sure.

I understand that view, entirely.

But I also do think every time Sergio misses a goalscoring opportunity, it's another tick for Pep in terms of preferring Jesus, in terms of how he balances the scale in his own mind with regards Sergio's other deficiencies?

If we're being brutally harsh, Sergio should score between 40-50 goals a season (certainly in this new set-up) but plenty go by the wayside.

Scoring four against Leicester might not be an issue for Pep, more the one chance Sergio has to make the difference in a big game?

A sort of confirmation bias, if taking into account his attempts to sign additional forwards from Mbappe to Sanchez?

His goals are beyond dispute, but for this current City team to move forward to the next level, he can't be the main man anymore.

He likes being the No.1, that's what he has come to expect for his seven years here, but it can no longer be the case.

I doubt he would accept being a squad player but Jesus, while not being as prolific, makes the entire team greater than the sum of its parts on every level, in terms of knowing when and where to press, which makes the entire forward line absolutely more potent in terms of the chances it is able to create, and suffocating teams even more.

Sergio has attempted to adapt but it's clear he doesn't have the intelligence to do what Pep clearly wants, which is no slight on him, but makes me very excited at how incredible Jesus is already, in terms of his tactical maturity and selflessness for someone so young.

Guardiola's mantra is about the collective and Sergio's game has to be about greed,like all predatory forwards, as when he's not scoring, he's not offering enough anywhere else.

Understandably, most would scoff when I would argue that Sergio wasn't even that great against Leicester despite scoring "only" four goals.

I'm in agreement with most of this. Sergio really has been exceptional recently, but that is almost entirely down to being clinical in his finishing. Like you, I can see the team as a whole performs better when Jesus plays. Nevertheless, if you ask me who I want one-on-one with the keeper in an important game, I'd choose Sergio every time. Jesus has the strength and the work rate, but he lacks pace and acceleration. He's not a great shooter either, which all combined makes him quite limited as an attacking threat. He does the tactical things very well though. He identifies well where to create overloads, he moves to create space for the wingers, he wins the ball back high up the pitch and he tirelessly chases down the opposition defenders to cut their chances at the source. He's a great option, especially when we play with wingers, but I feel that we still need somebody that can break through the lines with pace or burst past a defender to get a shot away. I just wish that we hadn't missed out on Mbappe. Those two would have given us everything we need in that position for the next decade.

I'm in agreement with most of this. Sergio really has been exceptional recently, but that is almost entirely down to being clinical in his finishing. Like you, I can see the team as a whole performs better when Jesus plays. Nevertheless, if you ask me who I want one-on-one with the keeper in an important game, I'd choose Sergio every time. Jesus has the strength and the work rate, but he lacks pace and acceleration. He's not a great shooter either, which all combined makes him quite limited as an attacking threat. He does the tactical things very well though. He identifies well where to create overloads, he moves to create space for the wingers, he wins the ball back high up the pitch and he tirelessly chases down the opposition defenders to cut their chances at the source. He's a great option, especially when we play with wingers, but I feel that we still need somebody that can break through the lines with pace or burst past a defender to get a shot away. I just wish that we hadn't missed out on Mbappe. Those two would have given us everything we need in that position for the next decade.

That's a huge point - we play with wingers.

I would strongly dispute your suggestion Jesus lacks pace - he's very quick - not Sane quick - but certainly faster than Sergio over ten yards.

Total agreement about Mbappe, but then we would still have plenty disputing Sergio shouldn't be making way for him and Jesus.

I have a feeling Sane could be that player and morph more towards a Bale/Ronaldo type player down the centre, his pace able to take him down either side, especially if we sign a wide forward such as Bailly or Mahrez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.